Default Sony head unit frozen

Hey this has been happening intermittently over the past year and now it looks like it is here to stay. Some days when we first get on the lake the head unit is frozen in whatever spot it was left on last. None of the buttons on the head unit work except the ON/OFF and the open/close button. Absolutely nothing works on the Sony controller thing right in the driver cockpit. If I power off the head unit it won't turn back on. I can switch from my phone to someone else's phone and a USB key without a problem.

This has always just seemed to fix itself after a few minutes/hours but now we are on day 3 of listening to the same music.

Any ideas? This has done this since the first month we got the boat (before any audio upgrades)
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Not sure how but now the sony controller in the drivers cockpit works after hitting the OFF button. The deck will allow volume control now but unable to change source or any deck settings at all.

WTF?

Is there a reset button on the deck anywhere? I have looked behind the face where it would normally be and at the back of the unit and nada
    Last edited by blackcup; 09-13-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

There may be a reset button behind the flip down face. I would start by disconnecting the remote at the head-unit and give it a few trips out to see. A failing remote is likely and will lock the head-unit up.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    There may be a reset button behind the flip down face. I would start by disconnecting the remote at the head-unit and give it a few trips out to see. A failing remote is likely and will lock the head-unit up.
    Yeah I couldnt see anything behind the face of the deck. I will disconnect the remote and give er a shot.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

if the remote 1/8 jack is not seated properly and they do un seat with vibration , that will cause funky issues as well. I ended up wrapping the connection with electrical tape. works like a charm now and now more issues. it would un seat 2 to 3 times a year.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    if the remote 1/8 jack is not seated properly and they do un seat with vibration , that will cause funky issues as well. I ended up wrapping the connection with electrical tape. works like a charm now and now more issues. it would un seat 2 to 3 times a year.
    ok great i will check this too. do you mean where it is connected to the back of the deck? or at the back of the remote?
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackcup View Post
    ok great i will check this too. do you mean where it is connected to the back of the deck? or at the back of the remote?
    Both.
    Just to add a bit more detail to the comments above,
    Oftentimes the remote control pigtail has an added twisting interconnect that helps lock the plug into the extension cable. But the problem is that the extension cable isn't always from the same source and lacks the locking provision. Instead, the mismatch tends to place a bit of pressure on the male and female plugs to push them apart. To remedy this you take a razor knife and trim the excess and unused soft plastic off the one side. Now the two sides will seat and lock better. Take a very close look and see whether or not your particular scenario fits the description. In any case, a little tape, or heat shrink, or three zip ties per connection will keep the connectors together permanently. Strain relieving the cables to remove any movement in response to shock and vibration also helps.

Back of the deck
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I'll have to check that as well. I've had same issues with Sony deck on my 13 OBV and my 13 LSV. From the very first day on both. I had to constantly reset it (there is a pin hole when you take face plate off, get a safety pin and push the button and it resets deck). Mine gets locked into a demo mode where everything flashes if I plug in our mini ipod for some reason... I've been using the power on and off on dash pad this year to solve my issues to reset it to working again. I'll likely replace deck next year.
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5