Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Hypothetical- If you had $80k to spend, what would you buy?

Is it me, or is there a gap between the 60k and 100k range of boats? I know there's a reason we all bought Moombas (price to value ratio), but I want to know- if folks had an 80k budget, and they wanted to upgrade to the next level of surfing, what would you buy (any brand) and why? It just seems like you quickly find yourself in the land of 100k+ which is just a massive jump and the increased wave and boat don't match. Am I crazy?

Couple specs I was using for this if you take the challenge:

- new 2015 or 2016 models
    - 21ft max overall length (not including platform)
    - not a bunch of crazy options (underwater lights, expensive trailer, etc...)
    - Moderate engine upgrade
    - emphasis on surfing

Any recommendations?
    Moomba Mondo '14
    IBS 750 / Rear 900
    RAM 1500
    TESLA S85D

"Livin the dream"

Default Hypothetical- If you had $80k to spend, what would you buy?

Probably look for a 14' LSV Malibu slightly used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 21ft requirement is a tough one IMO. If you bump that up to 22ft I think it opens up quite a bit more boats that you could consider for the money.
    Boatless for now

^
    this. I would not spend 80k on a 21ft boat but since you asked, I would compare the supreme s21, mb 21tomcat and tige z1.

80k on a 22ft boat would be enzo, craz or rz2 as a surf boat based on location. if I was back in the nw, I would add supreme 226 to the list.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I just went through this and decided that I'd be much more comfortable being in the $60k - $70k range on the boat (depending on options), and then have some money left over for upgrades and more gear. I basically have a "boat fund."

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're looking for an upgrade on surfing, you'd be better served going with a 22'+ boat vs a more expensive 21. Is the length a storage issue? If so, I'd take some of the extra money you're saving by not using your full $80k budget and apply that towards a storage unit.
    2016 Craz

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ter-VLX-664309

This wouldn't be too far down my list, If I had to stick to your options
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition
    6.2L Raptor power
    1100's and Flow
    Acme 1847

2003 Wakesetter xTi - sold

If i had 80K to spend, I would pay off my new Ram and the Mojo.

Since I do not, I will keep paying my double Mojo payments until its paid off, then roll that to my Ram.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I don't have 80k lying around but if I did it wouldn't be going toward a boat. Only new boat I would consider would be the Craz but I haven't paid off my LSV yet and still really like it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately my lake is private (ran mostly by blue-haired pontoon drivers) and they restrict boats to the 21ft max; which is why the Mondo was a perfect fit. To my surprise, after my 4th knee surgery last summer, surfing has become my prime activity and the Mondo just isn't giving me the length to go to the next level. The sweet spot is close to the boat regardless of my attempted configurations. Granted the hull has a lot to do with that, but I was hoping there was a moderately priced 21 footer that was meeting those requirements.

I just don't have a need for bells and whistles, but a better wave is always the desire. I can add on the autoflow and throw a sack in the cabin, but the allure of a new boat is always lingering like a bad habit.
    Moomba Mondo '14
    IBS 750 / Rear 900
    RAM 1500
    TESLA S85D

"Livin the dream"