Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ran my XLV goofy for the first time this weekend

So I've had my XLV for almost a year and this weekend was the first time I've every run it goofy...

1100 rear
    1180 under the playpen
    400 worth of passengers on the surf side

I honestly can’t remember if we had any ballast on the non-surf side. If I did any over there it was maybe just 1/2 full at the most.

I did have to use the wakeplate to clean it up as much as possible. I found that it took forever to clean up if I gave a gentle pull out of the hole, but if I hit it a little quicker it cleaned up quicker.

I even got out there and did some goofy surfing. While I could do it and could get slack in the rope, I couldn’t confidently ride ropeless goofy (that said, I think I’ve rode goofy less than 5 times ever). But it was good practice. These are pics of my buddy trying to get the hang of it.

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Ran my XLV goofy for the first time this weekend

That's awesome, my goofy wave seems better than my regular eave.
    This is with my ghetto gate.

How are you liking the XLV so far? Might be a good replacement for my LSV when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    How are you liking the XLV so far? Might be a good replacement for my LSV when the time comes.
    I love my XLV. But I was looking for some very specific things in a boat and the XLV really met them perfectly. Here are some of my observations:

1. I love the extra length. there's no question. Having basically an extra cushion's worth of passenger space is fantastic.
    2. I believe that with the extra length my lockers might be a little longer? That said, I can easily fit any piece of gear in a rear locker. I've regularly done my wakeboard, my surfboard, and my son's wakeboard (or kneeboard) in one locker.
    3. The lockers are open to passthrough to the under seat storage. not sure if that's the case in the LSV, but it allows me to put my slalom ski in the rear locker and still be able to fill a bag halfway.
    4. Really like the basement locker with the playpen bow. Currently I have 2 adult and 1 kids surfboard in the locker, and it has the 1180 gravity bag.
    5. The flip up backrests are awesome for the playpen bow. The wrap around seating is nice as it give one more seat behind the windshield on chilly days. The flip up backrest that's forward facing encloses the playpen and is a quick and easy windblocker under the center windshield.
    6. The option to have the stadium seat in the rear middle isn't something I use a lot, but the kids like it sometimes.
    7. The starboard side cutout for the hard cooler (coleman party stacker) took some getting used to, but that cooler has been okay as something for us as a small family. When we have a larger group, we use the in floor cooler as well.
    8. The flip up backrest behind the driver seat is a really nice touch. definitely on par with the newer, more expensive boats.
    9. It takes a decent amount of weight to get a nice surf wave. for me, having about 3k ballast and 3+ adults is where it gets really nice. I've found that re-purposing the factory 400 rear sacks as under the surfside seats works great. No problems out of the hole or surfing with that weight and the Acme 537.
    10. The wakeboard wake seems a little touchy on side to side weight, but I'm really happy with it when I've got the rear 1100's half full and the center 1180 full.
    11. Obviously, getting a 2008+ with the newer interior upgrades and the newer hull is where it's at.
    12. With a cargo bimini, I find that I have JUST enough board storage space. I've been running with my surfboard, wife's surfboard, son's surfboard, son's wakeboard, my wakeboard, heavier rider surfboard, my slalom ski, and sometimes a kneeboard.

So, coming from a 2006 LSV, you would certainly notice some refinements. would it be as drastic of a chance as something like a Mojo? Probably not, but it'd certainly be a noticeable change. For the money though, there's honestly not any other boat I could see myself in. I'm very happy.

And as illustration, here's the regular wave with about 3k of ballast and a few adults surfside with kids in the bow.
    Last edited by trayson; 08-17-2015 at 01:40 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

That's funny we always ride goofy in my boat and changed things around and we all hated the normal side. We never could get the wave where we like it and said screw this back to the other side where we halfway know what we are doing. I went rope less for about 10 seconds tops. Goofy I can go for quite a ways without any real trouble.
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210
    1992 CARAVELLE FISH&SKI 1750

Quote Originally Posted by gpd005 View Post
    That's funny we always ride goofy in my boat and changed things around and we all hated the normal side. We never could get the wave where we like it and said screw this back to the other side where we halfway know what we are doing. I went rope less for about 10 seconds tops. Goofy I can go for quite a ways without any real trouble.
    Well, some of it's familiarity with what works well for regular. And I do have the extra 400 bag plumbed under the Port surfside seats, so that's an advantage. Prop rotation will always favor regular.

I think we could get it better goofy, but probably never as good as regular.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Sucks to be goofy on that boat. We have a blended family with a total of 6 of us and 3 of us (including me) ride goofy. One of my kids decided to surf goofy for the first time (switching from normal) and he said "wow that wake on the goofy side really sucks". I guess this is what is like to be a lefty in a right hand world?
    Still working on fixing it but it was nice this weekend.

Trayson, on that last photo is that using a ghetto gate on the normal side?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    Trayson, on that last photo is that using a ghetto gate on the normal side?
    I only tried the ghetto gate once. it was admittedly huge, and it made it impossible to turn left at low speed and getting out of the hole was pathetic. Wife HATED IT. so it only happened once.

That said, our setup for that day was as follows:
    • 1100 surfside rear
    • ~500 starboard rear
    • 1180 gravity bag full
    • 400 bag under surfside seat (from forward of the cutout to the battery boxes)
    • two men (~450lbs) and two women (~275lbs) surfside
    • kids in the bow (~160lbs)
    • my 5'2" wife was driving.

that combo of bags with 3+ adults surfside just yields a wave that I really can't complain about. And with that setup and the Acme 537 prop, I have no problems pulling the 3000 pounds of ballast + people.

It really helped when I added that stock rear bag (400lbs) under the surfside seat on a reversible pump.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I noticed you left out the weight of the driver, smart thinking and totally not relevant, hehe.

I am missing out on the 400 lbs on the port side but we mostly need the weight on the starboard side anyway. Maybe something to think about in the future.
    When we are loaded with that many people everything is great, just need to get more out of having less people. Looking for the elusive Wake Fairy.
    Not disappointed with what I have though at this point when it is tuned in and I think it is. I was driving for my kid on Saturday with just me on board and he was going forever. Granted he weighs about 130 and was on a 5' 2" surf style board but he was carving well and getting about 8' back. The starboard side is another story.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I love my XLV. But I was looking for some very specific things in a boat and the XLV really met them perfectly. Here are some of my observations:

1. I love the extra length. there's no question. Having basically an extra cushion's worth of passenger space is fantastic.
    2. I believe that with the extra length my lockers might be a little longer? That said, I can easily fit any piece of gear in a rear locker. I've regularly done my wakeboard, my surfboard, and my son's wakeboard (or kneeboard) in one locker.
    3. The lockers are open to passthrough to the under seat storage. not sure if that's the case in the LSV, but it allows me to put my slalom ski in the rear locker and still be able to fill a bag halfway.
    4. Really like the basement locker with the playpen bow. Currently I have 2 adult and 1 kids surfboard in the locker, and it has the 1180 gravity bag.
    5. The flip up backrests are awesome for the playpen bow. The wrap around seating is nice as it give one more seat behind the windshield on chilly days. The flip up backrest that's forward facing encloses the playpen and is a quick and easy windblocker under the center windshield.
    6. The option to have the stadium seat in the rear middle isn't something I use a lot, but the kids like it sometimes.
    7. The starboard side cutout for the hard cooler (coleman party stacker) took some getting used to, but that cooler has been okay as something for us as a small family. When we have a larger group, we use the in floor cooler as well.
    8. The flip up backrest behind the driver seat is a really nice touch. definitely on par with the newer, more expensive boats.
    9. It takes a decent amount of weight to get a nice surf wave. for me, having about 3k ballast and 3+ adults is where it gets really nice. I've found that re-purposing the factory 400 rear sacks as under the surfside seats works great. No problems out of the hole or surfing with that weight and the Acme 537.
    10. The wakeboard wake seems a little touchy on side to side weight, but I'm really happy with it when I've got the rear 1100's half full and the center 1180 full.
    11. Obviously, getting a 2008+ with the newer interior upgrades and the newer hull is where it's at.
    12. With a cargo bimini, I find that I have JUST enough board storage space. I've been running with my surfboard, wife's surfboard, son's surfboard, son's wakeboard, my wakeboard, heavier rider surfboard, my slalom ski, and sometimes a kneeboard.

So, coming from a 2006 LSV, you would certainly notice some refinements. would it be as drastic of a chance as something like a Mojo? Probably not, but it'd certainly be a noticeable change. For the money though, there's honestly not any other boat I could see myself in. I'm very happy.

And as illustration, here's the regular wave with about 3k of ballast and a few adults surfside with kids in the bow.
    Thanks for the detail. I have seen the Craz and overall feel it's a great boat for the money, $66,000 or so surf addition. But would feel much more comfortable in the 30's. I know there is a XLV listed for sale now, but I'm not ready, maybe next year or early into 2017. So if anyone is thinking of selling a 2010 or newer GIII XLV in the next two years be sure to let me know.... hint hint.......
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Thanks for the detail. I have seen the Craz and overall feel it's a great boat for the money, $66,000 or so surf addition. But would feel much more comfortable in the 30's. I know there is a XLV listed for sale now, but I'm not ready, maybe next year or early into 2017. So if anyone is thinking of selling a 2010 or newer GIII XLV in the next two years be sure to let me know.... hint hint.......
    that's seriously the way to go. I got my boat because Irish Racing had a boat that I loved and we'd chat about how "he better take care of my boat because I'll be buying it from him in a couple years". And when he decided to get out of boating, he offered it to me first for a amazing "bro price"--and the rest is history.

It helped that I was able to sell my Supra Sunsport for a very fair price in 48 hours the week after labor day last year. And you know your LSV will sell pretty easy, so you've got that in your favor.

So yeah, networking with owners that have boats you like is a good way to go. Time to hit up Boonejeepin! his is about as dialed as any other I've seen. Hell, he even has power surf tabs AND a ghetto gate.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com