Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Here are few tips for setting up your boat for wakesurfing with the Auto Flow 2:

Ballast and passenger placement: Rear weight will add to the height of the wave and typically give you more push. Additional bow weight will lengthen the wave but will decrease some of the height. On the Craz I would recommend filling rear ballast 100% on each side and favor a passenger or 2 towards the surf side. If you feel there isn't enough push with all ballast full in the boat, drain the bow bag some to achieve a taller wave with more push. It is also important to keep in mind passenger placement in this equation. Sitting passengers in the rear vs the bow will result in the same way as ballast.
    Wakeplate Position: The wakeplate in a higher position will result a taller wave with more push. A lower wakeplate setting will lengthen the wave but you will lose some push.
    Speed: Ideal speed will vary based on the amount of ballast and passengers you have in the boat. A slower speed will give you a taller wave with more push. Higher speeds will give you a longer wave. You typically want to speed up some when you have heavy ballast and/or passenger load. I would recommend running between 10.2 and 10.8 mph verified by GPS on the Craz, again depending on your weight configuration.
    Auto Flow 2 settings: Much like the wakeplate, the position of the Auto Flow 2 plates can change the shape of the wave. The Craz stock settings are 65% for port side surfing and 75% for starboard side. For reference, 0% is all the way up (not deployed) and 100% is fully deployed. Lower percentages than that of stock will result in a taller wave with more push. Higher percentages than stock will result in a longer, more mellow wave, more ideal for a lighter or skim style rider.

Based on your described setup, what you are looking for, and following the tips above, I would recommend the following:

Speed at 10.4 mph
    Ballast 100% in both rear bags and around 60% on the gauge for the front/middle.
    Wakeplate all the way up.
    Auto Flow 2 settings at 60% for port side and 70% for starboard side surfing.
    Passengers number is a variable so I would just start by placing them in the cockpit, again maybe 1 extra person favoring the surf side. If you have a heavy passenger load, distribute some to the bow or fill the bow ballast more.

Hopefully those tips will help you out. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 08-11-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Jamestown Ky, Lake Cumberland/Dale Hollow

Thanks for all the replies.. So what your saying Jon is if I am looking for more push while im surfing the port side ... I need to lower the percentage from 85% to lets say 60 percent in order to create more push?
    1995 Moomba Boomerang-SOLD
    2008 Moomba Outback DD- SOLD
    2014 Moomba Mondo-SOLD
    2016 Moomba Craz

Yes, lowering the Auto Flow 2 settings will help but that is just one part of the equation. Make sure all other items are set correctly as well. Follow my final suggestions in my post above and you should see good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Jwredmon101,

Where are your passengers placed in the boat?

Also, here are few tips for setting up your boat for wakesurfing with the Auto Flow 2:

Ballast and passenger placement: Rear weight will add to the height of the wave and typically give you more push. Additional bow weight will lengthen the wave but will decrease some of the height. On the Craz I would recommend filling rear ballast 100% on each side and favor a passenger or 2 towards the surf side. If you feel there isn't enough push with all ballast full in the boat, drain the bow bag some to achieve a taller wave with more push. It is also important to keep in mind passenger placement in this equation. Sitting passengers in the rear vs the bow will result in the same way as ballast.
    Wakeplate Position: The wakeplate in a higher position will result a taller wave with more push. A lower wakeplate setting will lengthen the wave but you will lose some push.
    Speed: Ideal speed will vary based on the amount of ballast and passengers you have in the boat. A slower speed will give you a taller wave with more push. Higher speeds will give you a longer wave. You typically want to speed up some when you have heavy ballast and/or passenger load. I would recommend running between 10.2 and 10.8 mph verified by GPS on the Craz, again depending on your weight configuration.
    Auto Flow 2 settings: Much like the wakeplate, the position of the Auto Flow 2 plates can change the shape of the wave. The Craz stock settings are 65% for port side surfing and 75% for starboard side. For reference, 0% is all the way up (not deployed) and 100% is fully deployed. Lower percentages than that of stock will result in a taller wave with more push. Higher percentages than stock will result in a longer, more mellow wave, more ideal for a lighter or skim style rider.

Based on your described setup, what you are looking for, and following the tips above, I would recommend the following:

Speed at 10.4 mph
    Ballast 100% in both rear bags and around 60% on the gauge for the front/middle.
    Wakeplate all the way up.
    Auto Flow 2 settings at 60% for port side and 70% for starboard side surfing.
    Passengers number is a variable so I would just start by placing them in the cockpit, again maybe 1 extra person favoring the surf side. If you have a heavy passenger load, distribute some to the bow or fill the bow ballast more.

Hopefully those tips will help you out. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Great info.

I'm a little confused about the bow bag though. My Craz did not come with the optional 500# bow bag. Based on what you've noted, if I had the 500# bow bag, that would really only serve to lengthen the wave and not provide much push (all other things being the same as stock). So is the bow bag really needed? If I upgrade rear bags, that should increase the height and corresponding push. However, if I also add weight to the bow, that will lengthen the wave and make it shorter (height perspective)...essentially counteracting the increased rear ballast?

My hope is that if I go from 650's in the back to 1,100's, but also add 650 to the front, the net 300# increase in the back will be enough to keep a relatively long wave, but also increase height/push. I'll have the ability to reduce the front weight if needed, as well as adjust the autoflow setting.

Do you have any recommendations for upgrading the bags?

Thanks
    2016 Craz

07STI,

I would highly recommend adding the bow bag for surfing, especially if you are upgrading the rear bags to 1,100's. If you were to fill the 1,100's full and have 6-7 people all sitting in the cockpit area, that is too much rear weight. You will want to add bow weight to lengthen the wave and get the bow down. With surfing it's all about finding YOUR perfect combination of length and height on a wave. I stress the YOUR part because different riders are looking for different waves. Beginners want a tall wave with tons of push for learning. More advanced riders typically want a big wave with a longer wave face for tricks. Over time you will find that perfect combination of rear and bow weight that will work best for you.

great info! what would you recommend for the 2016 mojo? do you think this is pretty much adaptable for the mojo?
    Moomba Mojo 2016

The 2016 Mojo and 2016 Craz have very similar hulls so you can start with those settings for the 2016 Craz and that will give you a decent starting point. As we have suggested, I highly recommend you experiment with all the variables to find out what suits you best. Keep in mind that overall ballast (ballast and passenger weight) makes the biggest impact on waves or wakes.
    Matt Brown
    Product Development Manager

thank you! i'll try that. my mojo will be here by next week. i'll let you know what works best for me.
    Moomba Mojo 2016

Hi Guys,

I received my Craz and try now to find out the best weight setting for wakesurf and wakeboard.
    For wakesurfing Jon did a great job and I think that settings should also work for me.

But what about wakeboard. If I let the bags filled and increase the speed, one the right wave (driving direction) is okay but not the left one. I haven't tested it with a rider, because in Switzerland the lakes are still about 51 Fahrenheit... so this will change the behavior also.
    So my questions, what are the prefered settings for a Craz when you try to wakeboard.

Best regards
    Thomas

I always thought the Surf systems, Flow, Flow 2.0, Swell, and such are only for Surfing, they do not deploy for wake board speeds?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]