Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sky Ski/ Air Chair, what have i gotten myself into

Well, we have been watching guys ride these things for several years and I've been kicking around the idea of getting one, but gosh they are super proud of them!!!!!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$ We finally found a good deal on one on Craigslist for $225, so I guess now it's time to learn how to ride this goofy thing and figure out where I'm going to keep it in the boat. Anyone ever ride one?
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210
    1992 CARAVELLE FISH&SKI 1750

Yes and I went straight up to the highest point and then straight down on my face 5 times in a row. Longest I rode it was about 50 yards.... Not for me. Good luck!
    2003 Mobius LSV GG Edition - Sold!

I just recently got one. Not that difficult to get up on, but staying up and controlling/flying it is a different ballgame. Mine fits in my rear lockers disassembled and I made a rack for mine with some old clamps, plywood and eye bolts to bungee it in place. I was also told by many that the cheap older ones weren't the best way to start but I figured I could sell it for what I paid for it in a year if I decided I wanted to keep riding one. ( It's looking like ill be getting a better one next year they are a blast )

Glad to see someone else giving it a try! Which ski do you have?

A quote from the guy teaching me "If it were as easy as wake boarding everyone would be doing it". That will tell you what you are in for but no one just gets up and goes.

I am still learning myself. I finally have control over the thing for the most part. I found someone on the foiling forum that took me under their wing and is teaching me.
    First off it is frustrating, much more than a wakesurf, wake board or anything. If you know how to do any water sport, don't worry because absolutely NONE of it carries over other than holding the rope.

Besides the usual stuff here is what helped me the most:

When getting up stay seated upright with your body at 90 degrees to your legs, arms straight until your board is about 30 degrees from parallel to the water then to the the "Superman" position. That is bend at the waist with your arms straight in front of you. It naturally pulls the ski downward.

SMALL MOVEMENTS. It is impossible at first but SMALL MOVEMENTS!! When you bring your arms down quickly you get what mjr119 did, we all do it. That is always your first jump. Your head gets about 6 feet off of the water, you tilt sideways and slam the side of your face. Try to ride with the board just touching the water to learn control.

Once you are up (which means you are still coming out of the water from the start) LOOK AT THE BOAT. You will follow the boat (mostly). Don't take your eyes off of the boat, pick one small spot. SMALL MOVEMENTS and Superman while you are learning control. If you start to sit up and start losing control, back to Superman.

Boat speed 13-15 MPH.

It is tough to learn but don't give it up. You might find someone near to you on the foil forum that is willing to help.

Here are some videos on the Foil forum that should help. http://www.foilforum.com/forums/show...7399#post77399
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

We have a couple guys on our small lake that tear it up with these. They make it look REALLY easy....
    2003 Moomba Outback with 283 hrs on the 310HP Indmar. Its in Cherry condition also and now we will again start to use the boat after a few years off.

Once you learn it you will never go back to anything else. I've been riding since 2008. I tried surfing some but just not the same rush.
    2007 Moomba Outback V
    2015 F-250 PSD CC

2012 Fuse 40 T-bar
    Sky Ski Le-38
    XXX front wing
    UFO rear wing
    Evo tower

You can get a rack for them that fits your tower from Sky Ski or comptech marine
    2007 Moomba Outback V
    2015 F-250 PSD CC

2012 Fuse 40 T-bar
    Sky Ski Le-38
    XXX front wing
    UFO rear wing
    Evo tower

my buddy rides one, he could no longer ski or wake board because he broke his back in a motorcycle accident. Crazy dude chose to Sky Ski, after watching him and the air he would get had to wonder how it can be easier on his back. Crazy, would love to try if I could.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

We've been using one for a decade. It's a mid-range Sky Ski. It's great! While the biggest hazard is going to be pulled muscles due to laughter of observers, you should proceed immediately to get the following:

- Camera with good movie mode and burst still mode -- the learning curve is only going to happen once for each person, and it will be a treasured memory
    - Helmets made specifically for watersports (e.g. Bern) THAT FIT and have earflaps
    - A "Neck Roll" http://cinchmax.com/id3.html
    - CINCH straps if your ski doesn't already have them
    - Neoprene socks -- reduces chafing on the foot straps -- not essential, but appreciated by all
    - Tower rack. These things are not cheap, but neither is interior storage. Hydrofoils take up a lot of space and are a pain to assemble/disassemble. They are also a bit of a hazard to people in the boat when doing so. With a tower rack, the foil has two locations: outside of tower, or in the water.

I didn't include my usual advice for crash goggles here, to reduce the risk of an "eye opener" face plant. This is because crashes on a hydrofoil don't involve catching a leading edge and hitting the water instantly, as happens on a wakeboard.

Instead, you'll have enough time to either fall over leisurely as a beginner, or fall from an appreciable height in the next stage of hilarity, er, learning. As you graduate to jumping (intended or otherwise), you'll have enough air time before a crash to carefully consider the choices that got you to such a point.

After you learn enough control to not immediately wipe out, I recommend that cruising practice be done at the minimum speed that give good fine control, typically about 16 MPH. Lower speeds are great for keeping things non-threatening, but responsiveness to control might not be there for stable cruising.

For those considering this highly amusing device that will double the value of water time, your best bet is to skip any beginner models and go straight to an intermediate one. Also, get it with the shock absorber option, and CINCH straps.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

we have had one for a few years and they are a riot to play around on. The only thing is they are big and take up a lot of space on the boat. Watch a couple of videos on youtube and then give it a try. Lots of fun
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190