Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

This is amazing!!!
    2005 Outback LSV-Assault 325

Super Cool
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Absolutely amazing!! I am green with envy right now! Kudos to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I love this thread! Great project and enjoy following.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Glad to see you got through the permitting. IMO, that in itself would be the hardest part.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Congrats...Keep the pics coming!

Where did all the water go from the existing lake?
    2016 Craz

Default Dreams of owning a privite ski lake

Very exciting for you! That is The Dream!
    Looks like some farms nearby. Any plans for increasing/maintaining the water quality and preventing eutrophication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 LSV. 1100 rear sacs and IBS. ACME prop is next
    Ronix One w/ Parks bindings

Short answer not really.
    We have talk about this a little bit. one thing I did notice this year was that the moss/ algae real grew fast and there was a lot of rain run off in the lake. I was just thinking that being we did not apply the typical chemicals to the lake that was the problem. I did make the comment that I thought the moss and algae was growing real fast thinking it was because of the farmers fertilizing.

talking with different people I was told that a lot of the algae and pond weeds grow due to half the lake being under 4' deep. (sun light hitting the bottom of the lake.

So with that said I am going to start doing some research and ask if you if you know anything naturally to prevent this?

One thing we are doing for silt is we are putting two silt ponds in on the large waterways that come into the lake and there is 5 small ditches that come into the lake that I was planning on putting dry dams and tiling to the lake. By doing this almost all the water coming into the lake will have to come through a tile or pipe.
    2007 supra 21v

Short answer in return, no i do not. It is quite a complex issue and one that we are dealing with in Madison as well, so i don't think that lake depth is the final solution since our lake is 10,000 acres and 80 ft deep. now the few algae blooms we do have don't take over the whole lake, but they are still there. The silt ponds are a great idea to preserve the work that you do creating the lake!

That being said, i have dreamed of solving the problem and maybe you'll find a solution that works for you as each lake is different. It may likely be a combination of options that solve the problem. So the big problem here is phosphorous. You reduce the loading of that and you win the game. The options are to stop it from being applied to the land, stop it from entering your lake, or reduce it while in your lake before it spurs algae growth. Obviously the first is out, so option two would have you either change your water source from runoff to a well, although with a creek coming in so you'll still get some P but it would reduce the concentration. Another idea is to use the silt ponds as artificial wetlands at the inlet points to try and use up as much P as you can before it is in the lake. This is how most lakes stay healthy but the loading from our farming can be too great for just wetlands to solve the problem. Lastly you could treat/filter the water coming in, but this is an extremely cost ineffective option.
    Ok, so say you can't prevent it from entering the lake, how do you deal with the P that is in there. One way is to reduce the residence time of the water. Getting new water in would reduce the opportunity for the algae to grow. A different idea is aeration, which i don't fully understand if/how it prevents algae growth. I've heard of a lake (google 42.917914, -89.475197) that was owned by a professional water skier and they used aeration. I don't know if that is all that they used, but as i hear it is the vertical mixing that helps. Also i'm sure the turbulence helps too.

Hope that gives you some ideas for you to research more. There is likely more options out there that i'm unaware of as lots of research is being done on this issue. And like i said, it may be a combination of things you try. Say you do nothing at first and see how it goes. if you have issues, try creating wetlands at the inlets to reduce the P. If that doesn't help, then maybe drill a well or add aeration. The downside to that phased design is it may take years to get it finally right.

As far as the physical design, I read on a different forum that the shores of Radar Lake were designed to absorb waves and not reflect them because of how they are sloped, may be a thought for you if you have enough room to slope your shores.

Here is a story about the property i mentioned that gives some info on the lake. They use well water and aeration. pretty nice house too.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...a4bcf887a.html