Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Exile SXT9Q's cutting out?

Any idea what would be causing this? Happens when I jack up the volume ... not overly loud though. I have run them much louder in the past for a lot longer without any cutting. It sounds almost like a CD skipping (its not its playing from a USB key) ... shortly after that I will lose all high end from the tweeters. This is from the towers only. Sub and cabins are fine and they are on different amps.

Is that a sign that the amp is overheating?
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Generally that is a sign of amp overheat. Touch your amp when its acting up, also it could be the gains are too high for the amp and your over pushing the amp.

A quick test is take a towel <i use yellow micro fiber> wet it with cooler water, ring it out and lay it on the amp, if you can play music longer then its over heating the amps.

On 4th July weekend at LBC we had 105 Temps and I was cranking my tower hard, over heated 1 of the amps, did the towel deal and in 5 minutes it came back on. Rest of the day and weekend I just repeated the cool wet towel on the amp and never an issue.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Exile SXT9Q's cutting out?

The XM30.2's stay nice and cool (just one pair per amp, at 4ohm) but the Xi800.4 (class AB) heats up pretty good when pushed hard - 2 channels at 4 ohm, 2 at 2 ohm, running 6 SX65Ms.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Generally that is a sign of amp overheat. Touch your amp when its acting up, also it could be the gains are too high for the amp and your over pushing the amp.

A quick test is take a towel <i use yellow micro fiber> wet it with cooler water, ring it out and lay it on the amp, if you can play music longer then its over heating the amps.

On 4th July weekend at LBC we had 105 Temps and I was cranking my tower hard, over heated 1 of the amps, did the towel deal and in 5 minutes it came back on. Rest of the day and weekend I just repeated the cool wet towel on the amp and never an issue.
    Yeah we hit 102 that day and I was cranking it for a while ... not super hard but hard enough. I always thought if the amp was overheating that you would lose ALL sound ... not just the highs?

This all goes back to my original issue with the 4 x SXT9Q's and not really being able to hear them that well when surfing. I started to turn em up and then this happens.

I'll give the towel trick a try. Thanks.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Something is not set up or functioning correctly. You should easily hear 2 SXT9s while surfing and 4 should rock. The heat might be putting a spotlight on the issue but you've got something else going on that requires more than a wet towel.

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post

The XM30.2's stay nice and cool (just one pair per amp, at 4ohm) but the Xi800.4 (class AB) heats up pretty good when pushed hard - 2 channels at 4 ohm, 2 at 2 ohm, running 6 SX65Ms.
    Yea I have 1 800.4 on 2 channel to 2 XM9s and then the Harpoon on 4 XM9s, I can over heat the 800 pretty easy, the Harpoon takes a bit longer, but I push it pretty hard.

I have 2 30.2, 1 15.4 and 2K.1 to replace all my older amps I have been running, plan is upgrade it all in 2 weeks when I'm off for a week from work.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Something is not set up or functioning correctly. You should easily hear 2 SXT9s while surfing and 4 should rock. The heat might be putting a spotlight on the issue but you've got something else going on that requires more than a wet towel.
    If that is in fact the issue ... any tips on where to start? The shop that did the install is a one hour drive from here so I would rather not do that if it is something I can tackle.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Well looks like your running the new 30.2 amp on your speakers already, so technically you should not be having heat issues.

It could be a cross over set up, not positive, I would look at the amp settings, copy down the frequency set points. Also whats your battery setup? Is the amp on a dedicated stereo bank or sharing the house battery?

When your tower starts to act up does it return to normal when you lower the volume, or does it take a little while?
    When your tower starts to act up is it only the Tweets that you lose? Or does the entire speaker shut off?

Trying to get a picture of what is happening.

On mine I know its heat, the amp goes into protect mode with a red light, and I lose all power to the speakers effected on that amp.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The 800.4 can overheat, Brian at exile mentioned that my gains might be slightly too high . Usually happens on hot nights will the boat going slow , not a lot of air movement .

What amps are powering your surf 9's
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

If your 800.4 is overheating, def turn down the gains. If your 30.2 are cutting out, then we probably have a short somewhere to look for.

I'll send you my tel#in pm. Give me a ring and we can walk thru a couple things to trouble shoot.

Nice looking install. Clean!

-Brian