Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Considering a Craz- few questions

Im in the market for a new boat, will be a first time owner. I have honestly only wakeboarded a couple of times and never surfed but I live a few miles from a great lake and have wanted a boat since highschool. I own a couple of stand up jet skis, I love them but I am ready to dump those and make the jump to a boat. I intially was looking into a 2016 Axis A22, got a rough price on one with the base 350 and super plain jane trailer and im still over 20k in options alone. Wow.

After doing some looking at the Craz I am really drawn to it, standard 400 motor, better warranty, nicer interior IMO and a lower price tag are all huge selling points in my opinion. I am a little concerned that the wake and surf wave will be inferior to that of the A22, but maybe I shouldnt worry about that beings I am a beginner... But at the same time im buying a WAKE boat for the wake right? I suppose there will be no real answer to how good the wake is behind the craz until it been around a little longer. Anyways here are my main questions-

Zero off? Can someone explain the difference between this and the standard cruise or maybe post a link for me? It is an expensive upgrade, is it really needed?

How is the stereo system on these boats from the factory? I like that the axis boat come with wetsounds, from what I know they are about as good of marine speakers as you can buy. Looks like the moombas come with kicker stuff, is it worth it to upgrade from the factory or do that later on with a different brand? Im not an audio junkie by any means, but I do like a good sounding stereo and can definitely tell the difference between a good one and a bad one.

I havent been in boat with the non-skid snap in flooring. Is this material similar to seadek or gatorstep? I dont want to deal with carpet.

Lastly what is the advantage of the standard tower vs the s bend? Looks? Height? Easier to fold?

Im sure I will have more questions as I get closer to buying, looking to order in november or december so I am still aways out. Still really having a hard time deciding between an axis and a moomba, both dealers are an hour and a half away, I kind of like the axis dealer and salesman better, but am leaning towards the moomba boat. Tough, but all very exciting, I cant wait for next summer. I appreciate any help and or advice.

Royce

Default Considering a Craz- few questions

Zero off is gps based and standard is paddle wheel based. Me personally I have the standard on my mojo and think it does just fine so I can't say I would make that a selling point for me.

Wetsounds or exile audio are about as good as it gets when it comes to marine audio but the audio is something that can be easily upgraded after you have had the boat a year or two and have decided how much you really want/need.

Don't know much about the snap in non skid but I personally would look awfully hard at deckadence material for about $500 they will make if for your boat and the material feels awesome on your feet and drains really well.

Not familiar with the tower sorry no help there.

Me personally I can't get over the fit and finish look of a moomba compared to the axis but it is all personal preference. As for the wake I don't think you will ever be disappointed in the moomba wake.
    Rusty

2013 Mojo

I was sucked in by the Craz launch but after talking with my dealer, the Mojo isn't much more and its larger. There's only going to be a few thousand separating them.

Also - The '400' motor is 400 ft lbs of torque but only 315-320 HP. Folks tend to focus on HP so just clarifying.

If you have never owned a boat, I would consider one that is 2-3 yrs old. It will take the biggest hit (ie, depreciation) in the first few years and you get to decide if you and your family are boaters. Not a bad thing, but I would guess MANY folks wish they got in lower and could get out cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by pauley71 View Post
    I was sucked in by the Craz launch but after talking with my dealer, the Mojo isn't much more and its larger. There's only going to be a few thousand separating them.

Also - The '400' motor is 400 ft lbs of torque but only 315-320 HP. Folks tend to focus on HP so just clarifying.

If you have never owned a boat, I would consider one that is 2-3 yrs old. It will take the biggest hit (ie, depreciation) in the first few years and you get to decide if you and your family are boaters. Not a bad thing, but I would guess MANY folks wish they got in lower and could get out cheaper.
    This is true but if you buy used you do not get the Warranty. Just something else to factor in.
    2020 SA ?,2019 SE550
    2018 G23 sold
    2017 SE450,2016 SA400 Sold
    2015 MB B52 23,2012 MB F21 Sold
    2014 Axis A22, 2010 Axis A22 Sold

2018 Ram 2500

I'd say the wakeboard wake will be inferior on the Craz, in comparison to the Axis. However, until you have multiple inverts and spins, any of the inboards on the market are going to give you more wake than you will ever need. It's mostly a moot point, especially for a beginner. I surfed the Craz last weekend and the push and size of the wave was great. I also drove a 15 Bu 23LSV the same weekend, from a driving standpoint, autoflow vs surfgate ... drivability is an easy head nod to the Moomba when surfing.

Zero off vs cruise is above. Not knowing any different cruise works just fine. If you have an area with possible bad GPS reception or current, the cruise might actually be the better choice.

I agree Wetsounds is a better speaker but I'd be surprised if Axis was wired correctly from factory to get the most of the speakers. If you are talking inboats, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the Axis has Wetsounds tower speakers (properly powered) then there is certainly some money value there in favor of the Axis. You are in for a couple grand minimum to get that on the Craz.

Yes, non skid snap in is similar to the gatorstep.

Dealer should certainly be a factor as you will be working with them regularly, especially on a new boat. Where are you located?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Buy a Moomba. Axis sucks

Plus the A22 surf wave is lame
    Last edited by jmvotto; 07-21-2015 at 10:57 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Tifton,GA Lake Blackshear, and Lake Cheehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pauley71 View Post

ok I don't know where you got those horsepower numbers from but their not even close. The base engine's numbers are in the 385hp and 405 ftlb range similar to what the base gasoline v8 engine is in the super duty. FORD ADVERTISES THESE NUMBERS.....you can't detune hp and keep torque besides I traded in a 2014 Mobius LSV with a 330 and 2015 Mojo is a night and day difference in power. The closed loop cooling system would be deal breaker for me....it's standard on the indmar and an EXPENSIVE option for everyone else.
    Last edited by nitrodude24; 07-21-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    2015 Supra SG 450 Fire Red Metallic
    Wetsounds and MMATS
    2015 Mojo
    2014 LSV
    2006 Tahoe Q4sf

I am located in East Central South Dakota. I have definitely looked into a used boat, but I just hate the idea of not buying a boat from one of the 2 dealers near me, I know I wouldnt get the service I would if I bought a boat from them. My season will be short as it is, would hate to have issues and be off the water for a few while because the dealer is working on their customers boats. Theres just not a lot of options where I'm at.

Can anyone confirm the HP numbers, I do see that the moomba book I have claims 404 ft/lbs torque but doesnt mention anything about HP.

Quote Originally Posted by goridedoo View Post
    I am located in East Central South Dakota. I have definitely looked into a used boat, but I just hate the idea of not buying a boat from one of the 2 dealers near me, I know I wouldnt get the service I would if I bought a boat from them. My season will be short as it is, would hate to have issues and be off the water for a few while because the dealer is working on their customers boats. Theres just not a lot of options where I'm at.

Can anyone confirm the HP numbers, I do see that the moomba book I have claims 404 ft/lbs torque but doesnt mention anything about HP.
    Sorry no numbers but I can tell you I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was in the Craz with the base 400 ... no ballast it felt like a sports car, with ballast (900'ish rears and IBS) it did just fine.

The new raptor motor definitely seem more peppy than the GM counterparts.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by rbeckner27 View Post
    I personally would look awfully hard at deckadence material for about $500 they will make if for your boat and the material feels awesome on your feet and drains really well.

I second this! Consider base snap carpet or whatever the option is, save the cash and price out deckadence. You might have to make a template as it's a new model but probably the best all around option imo. and with Template your sure it will fit perfect.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet