Default New Moomba Family

My family just purchased a New '05 Moomba Outback LS. We often have quite a few passengers when we go out to ski and using the ski pylon is not always very practical. I was wondering if skiing off the back ski hook was any different of a pull from the pylon? Besides making the skier about 4 or 5 more feet back I can't really find much difference but I have only skied this boat a few times. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Replying to Topic 'New Moomba Family'

Originally posted by trussell34
    My family just purchased a New '05 Moomba Outback LS. We often have quite a few passengers when we go out to ski and using the ski pylon is not always very practical. I was wondering if skiing off the back ski hook was any different of a pull from the pylon? Besides making the skier about 4 or 5 more feet back I can't really find much difference but I have only skied this boat a few times. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I'll waffle and say yes and no.

In addition to the distance toward stern, you also have a drop in height of about 12-18 inches. Additionally, you are no being pulled behind the prop instead of in front of it. Since the Outbacks rotate around the fins (keel/center) you will actually "feel" the skier less on the pylon than on the rear hook.

That being said, for rec skiers, go for it. If you want to run a slalom course at x-off, you will want it on the pylon. The farther off the skier is running, the more force is exerted at the outside edge of his cut, pulling the stern towards the outside.

I have the same boat, and the back hook is fine for most. If you have a skier over 200lbs, that cuts hard, you need them on the pylon. If not, you will be fighting the back end of the boat constantly.

Welcome to the MOOMBA clan........

Thanks for all the input. I just discovered this board a few weeks ago and haven't been able to get enough of all this new and interesting information. We will be taking our Outback LS to the lake this weekend so I'm sure I'll test out both spots of skiing. Again thanks for all the input and I'm glad to be on such a good message board!

I am by no means a pro slalom skier, but I ski pretty agressively. I had the same issue, a few people in the boat, so I skied from the rear ski eye, but only until my first fall. The guy driving said that I was pulling the back of the boat all over the place and he was having to fight the steering to keep it straight, so we moved folks to the front and pulled from the pylon. I weigh about 175 and free ski (no course yet) at 15 off at about 30-32 mph. So if I have a few people in the boat, I just wakeboard, and slalom when it is only a few.