Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Upgrading Stereo System Help

Longtime boater; however, I'm relatively new to the wake board/surf world and have a 2007 Moomba Mobius LSV. I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo system by adding a sub, amps, and tower speakers. Where do I start with this? Can you purchase whole packages or do I need to buy everything separately? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I want enough power so I can hear music while surfing, but like many, don't need to go crazy or break the bank. Wondering if I can do this for about $1000.

You can do it 'all' for $1000 but IMO the results would be disappointing and there is a good chance much of that gear would end up in the classifieds next season. You could easily spend $1000, or close, just for tower speakers. Maybe you need to if wake range projection is the goal. Far less is surf range is the goal.
    It would help stretch your budget by making use of any existing equipment that is satisfactory and investing in what you don't have.
    You are more likely to be satisfied over the long term by either bumping up the budget or building the system one area at a time, perhaps a portion this season and a portion next season.
    When you add a subwoofer it becomes almost essential that you drive the in-boat speakers with external amplification also. There are single chassis amplifiers with enough channels to run in-boats, sub and towers, but usually you end up with two amplifiers to drive so many speakers.
    So you are looking at tower speakers, subwoofer, sub enclosure (as an important element) and two amplifiers. Then you have the cost of wiring, connecting cables, distribution and fusing not to mention a fair amount of misc. hardware.
    Start with clarifying your objectives, such as how you would be using your tower speakers. Then set realistic expectations as to how much you can accomplish within your budget and still be satisfied for the long haul.

Do you have the Kenwood or Kicker cabin speakers? What amp?

Yes, it is helpful if you list all the equipment you currently have or have available to you. Then describe what your goals are. These guys can help you develop a short term plan that uses some of your existing equipment and a longer term plan that will get you to where you want to be. Most of the time they will encourage you to go zone by zone. Usually you want to start with your cabin equipment first b/c that will make the biggest difference in what you hear most of the time.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

It's all Kenwood stock product and there is NO amp. It's lousy. I like the idea of the above post where I would do it in sections. I'm assuming I should start with replacing the head unit and all 6 in-boat stock speakers and power the new ones with an amp. Am I on the right track here?

Deek - The stereo is divided into 3 zones. Tower / Cabin / Sub. The sum of these zones contributes to the wow factor or dynamic range the boat will have. If your missing one zone (like no sub), or have one zone to dominant (huge tower upgrade), you'll have problems in the long run. However - I usually suggest people measure their budget against the goal. And that often can take 2-3 seasons to achieve.

I would start with the cabin zone first. Then move to the sub. then to the tower. Primarily because the tower will be the most expensive zone and used the least. If you have the ken woods and its lousy-- assume its all coming out. There are many great build threads on these pages. Talk to owners and ask what they have done and why. I think you'll find a consensus that you should slow it down, spend a bit more and do it right in stages.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Deekmann View Post
    It's all Kenwood stock product and there is NO amp. It's lousy. I like the idea of the above post where I would do it in sections. I'm assuming I should start with replacing the head unit and all 6 in-boat stock speakers and power the new ones with an amp. Am I on the right track here?
    Yep, you're on the right track. Instead of a head unit (or in addition to) you might consider an EQ to give you zone control from the drivers seat. There are some nice 5 channel amps that will handle the cabin speakers and a sub, for not much more than a 4 channel that does the cabins only.

Sounds like a pretty logical roadmap to me. So, this year, and very soon, my purchase list might look something like this?
    1. New deck w/cabin control
    2. 5 channel amp
    3. 6 new in-cabin speakers
    4. Possibly add a sub with enclosure

I'm okay with all of the above going over $1000 as it looks like I will be doing this in stages.

Next year I can then focus on the tower system. So, if the above list is a good starting point, what products would some of you recommend?

I guess I could also just start with replacing the in-cabin speakers. Any comments on the Polk Audio DB 651's?