Default Wetsounds amp's and equilizers Water proof?

image.jpgimage.jpgGentlemen, I have a 2012 outback V, I bought last year and not sure who installed the superb Wetsounds systems. But where amp and eq is mounted water gets all over them,don't seem right to me... Are they water proof? The rear(tower speakers quit working at times and system don't sound right. Then the next weekend everything works normally..... I am thinking about putting a plexiglass shield over them to try prevent water getting into them. I don't think that it would overheat them if open all for sides? Thanks, Vann
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by off2fly; 06-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.
    Moomba Baby

Even conformal-coated marine electronics are not waterproof. They are resistant to salt air. They are not potted and most above-the-board components are not protected.
    You can do a lot of damage to electronics that have experienced direct exposure to water while operational and passing current, whether marine or automotive grade. You can do serious and permanent damage without tripping a breaker of blowing a fuse. So if you suspect that your electronics got wet immediately shut them down and shut down their power source until you can inspect them and determine their status.

In the port locker, gently run a hose over the deck cap and look for entrance into the locker via vents, cup holders, etc. You can easily install cup holder drains into the bilge with common Home Depot parts.

You can also re-arrange your amplifiers so that all terminals are at the bottom if you have one of the series listed above. If not mount the amplifiers horizontally, not as good for cooling but it provides some protection. Or, create an overhead drip rail. It can also be helpful to create a drip loop on incoming wiring.
    Last edited by newty; 06-28-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Electronics dont do good with water period. It's that simple. Brands that offer "marine rated" products - conformal coat the boats which provides a moisture barrier against dew and high humidity environments. But does not protect against direct water contact your posts suggests is occurring.

The mounting position /location of your EQ is definitely subject to being attacked by water. Keep this in mind when towing through a rain storm or if your caught on the lake in a storm. I'm not suggesting you relocate it-- just be aware of it.

If your tower zone is shutting down, I suspect you have something else occurring. In my experience, water will either 1) blow up (think smoke show) electronics, or 2) create scratchy crackly sound. If your loosing all sound out of the zone, I'm thinking you are overheating the amp, or have battery supply issues. Maybe you can expand on that and the forum can help you trouble shoot.

-Brian

What are you doing that water gets all over your amps and EQ???? I have my amps mounted in basically the same spot and they never get wet. Likewise, my EQ is mounted in about the same spot as yours and doesn't get wet either.

Are you leaving your boat outside without a cover on it? Are you dunking your nose and having water rush in from the bow? I'm confused why you're saying they are getting wet all the time when me and plenty of others have their equipment in the same spots and don't get their stuff wet.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Guys,thanks for replying. Yes got caught in a thunderstorm, and I had everything opened up one day to dry everything, and another storm came up while I went to town.�� I need a garage to park her in...... And if I put cover on while everything wet ....Mildew , humid here in va., you guys just throw cover on while everything is wet? I'm gonna move the eq a little more under dash..Thanks, Vann
    Moomba Baby

Of coarse I have never dipped the nose..........more than 3 or 4 times😎
    Moomba Baby

Default Wetsounds amp's and equilizers Water proof?

I cover when wet every time (thanks to the driving skills of my backups) but I have a small fan i plug into an extension cord and just leave on. Works wonders here in the humid SC summers. Did this on the old malibu all last year and every day on my LSV this year since I've had it. Fan cost me $9 at wallyworld. Keeps all the equipment dry and clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition
    6.2L Raptor power
    1100's and Flow
    Acme 1847

2003 Wakesetter xTi - sold

Vann,
    When stored outdoors or even in the end slip of a boathouse, water from a very hard wind driven horizontal rain has been known to get under a cover and go everywhere.
    Covering a wet boat interior makes for a brutal sauna as the temperature rises. Condensation forms on everything. And with that you can have corrosion on electronics. An exhaust fan helps. They also make packets that will absorb moisture. At minimum, pump the bilge dry before covering.
    As for getting caught in a storm, you can recess the EQ a bit underdash and place a fine 'L' channel extending just over the upper face of the EQ. You are likely already familiar with all the settings so covering the top 10% of the nomenclature shouldn't matter. This would serve as a partial rain guard so that water drips off the front edge of the guard rather than running across the face panel of the EQ.
    Marine amplifiers are not completely waterproof. Some are barely water resistant. Since they are not potted, which would seriously inhibit heat dissipation, they are still prone to corrosion. Every pot adjustment opening, every switch opening, every fan opening, every vent opening, etc., provides an inroad for water to get inside the amplifier. However, there are a few marine-rated amplifiers that have a sealed chassis will all adjustments concealed under a gasketed cover, and with all terminals on one side so that you can place this side along the bottom. These true marine amplifiers offer excellent protection against condensation and even water dripping across the amplifier, but fall short of permitting submersion or resting in standing water.
    Odin, a member on this forum, has a comprehensive article about reconditioning electronics after they have been exposed to water. It's worth a read if you are certain your electronics have gotten wet. It might save them.

Thanks gentlemen, I do appreciate the feed back. I have to say the Wetsounds equipment is excellent quality, when I saw water dripping out of the cooling holes I figured it was toast... So far still sounds and works great! I think the water in the eq was causing rear channel to go out, since dried out its working fine to. Guess I need to get a fan in there under cover...Thanks,Vann
    Moomba Baby