Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop Question

Default Replying to Topic 'Prop Question'

For those looking for the xmp "keyed" 14.25 X 14 vdrive prop it is item number 101705 at discount inboard marine. price $383.00

i have had great performance from this prop.

Thanks for the responses. I take it that this is the exact item:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ466

I see at http://www.propellersonline.com/OJprops4bl.php that they push puller kits. I have only ever changed the prop on my old I/O, and that required nothing more than a big set of pliers. Do I need a puller kit, or does propellersonline just want me to think that?

Thanx
    Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Ian, Skidim, does have the "oj" prop removal kis. I have on and it is nice. I keep my back up in there.

Yes that is the prop. It was at my door in 2 days of ordering it.

Yes you do need a puller kit. These boats use a tapered shaft instead of a spline in the ID.
    As soonas you get your puller, try taking the propeller off. This will get you familiar with the process so when it happens on the lake you can get it out of thwater and swap props in about 10-15 minutes.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Thanks for the replies! My order for a prop and puller form skidim is on its way. I'll have to get my pulling practise to put the new one on anyway.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

A side note to this discussion of repairing props. My prop had some damage and I contacted Tacoma Propeller. They retail a lot of props on line. The man I spoke to recommended I repair it instead of replace it. $120 later the prop looks and runs likes new and I had them add some cupping to make it easier to run barefoot speeds.

Originally posted by Ian Brantford

Thanks for the replies! My order for a prop and puller form skidim is on its way. I'll have to get my pulling practise to put the new one on anyway.
    Done. The OJ 14 1/4 x 14 prop arrived here in Ottawa, Canada in less than a week, but I didn't get to try it out until yesterday. This prop satisfies! Now my alternate driver and I have to re-learn how to start, because it's so easy to start too fast when the boat isn't weighted.

Top speed is now 38MPH (down from 44), and might have been 39 or 40 if there was no wind. However, I saw mention somethere on this forum about this prop running 500 RPM slower at 22 MPH -- nonsense! It's about what you'd expect from a lower-pitch prop. Mine runs 150-175 RPM higher at 22 MPH -- approx 2750 RPM unweighted, 2950 weighted. It varied a bit because of shifting wind yesterday. That was with only 3 adults present, so it might top 3000 RPM with a full boat. Regardless, at all riding speeds, the engine has a notably lower tone, which I'll take to mean that it's not labouring nearly as much.

One thing that I noted was that the RPM range for riding speeds is compressed. That is, any riding speed from 17 to 24 MPH now happens within an RPM range of maybe 2600-3000 RPM, whereas it used to be perhaps 2100-3000. I'm going from memory... and it's quite possible that I'll never have the original prop installed again to check.

Thanks again for the pointers to this propeller!
    Ian

Someone I know is trying to get rid of a 14/20 LH OJ Prop from his MC V-drive and comes in a hard Spare Case, Prop Puller, other hardware bits for $125 brand new. Could I ever run the Prop?

The Spare Case Set is $150 without the prop online. From what I've been reading it sounds like a lot of top end speed, maybe for barefooting. Probably 06' Mooby LSV pulling kids for all watersports, occasional ballast (still may get an 06' XLV leftover).