Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop Question

Default Prop Question

Last weekend I was out and managed to damage the prop on my 05 XLV Gravity Games. So today I took the prop off and found it was a 13 x 15 1/2 x 1 1/8 Left OJ Prop. Called my dealer who is two hours from me and they had only one for $600.00. So I went on line and I was unable to find that size prop. One dealer called me back and said he had just called OJ and the OJ rep imedietly asked if my boat was a Moomba. Apperently they are phasing out this prop. OJ suggested I go to the 14 1/4 x 14 x 1 1/8 OJ Prop.
    My question is, will this hurt my performance, will this damage my boat, will it fit my boat, if will work what kind of performance should I expect good or bad?
    Thanks for any help.

Default Replying to Topic 'Prop Question'

There are many sizes of prop's you can use on your boat. It all depends on what you want out of your boat.
    If you load your boat down with 2000+ lbs of ballast then you will want some thing like a 13.5 X 16.5 or smaller. It will have a great holeshot but your top end speed will suffer. ( probably lose about 3-5 miles an hour off your top end).
    A standard 14 X 18 will serve your purpose just fine if you only run up to 1500lbs of ballast. ( these are what were outfitted on the original XLV in 2004 . Their so-called wakeboard Prop ( or high altitude prop) was a 13.5 X 17.5 .
    the 14 X 18 will give you a good hole shot and your top end will be what the factory and Transmisson and V-drive unit are made for. By over or under propping the boat you may void the warranty. The tranny and V-drive units are geared for the prop that is reccomended and outfitted to your boat.

I have a 2004 XLV with 2000lbs of ballast plus 4-5 adult passangers and I run the 13.5 X 17.5 Prop. It has a incredible holeshot and gets on plane very quick and I still can top end at about 41 mph at 4500 rpm's. Compared to the 14X18 top end at 44 mph at 4250 rpm's.

Do some research and dig deeper as to why you need the prop you are buying. Good Luck

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/...ive_propellers

I bent mine last year, and my dealer ordered me a new one for $450. $600 seems really high. I would spend a little more time shopping around. Maybe even call a different dealer? When I bent mine, I spent some time online, and found it even cheaper then $450. But my dealer let me borrow one the day after I bent mine, so I owed it to the dealership to buy one from them.

I also have the OJ 13.5 X 17.5 Prop. Great hole shot. I love it, but a hole shot is all that i'm interested in. I can't even remember the last time I have gone over 25mph.

I bought two new props from propsonline.com for $350.00 each. Almost half of what my dealer wanted. Besides my dealer is two hours away and they are absolutly the worst bunch I have ever dealt with. Their customer service is unbelievably horrable. In fact I believe the only reason they stay in business is they are the only Moomba dealer with in the centarl part of the state.
    So with the 14 1/4 x 14 prop that I ordered is a bit bigger prop, does this mean a better hole shot or better top end. I am confused.

sotx, sorry to hear about your dealer.

the 14 1/4 by 14 is awesome. I recently changed to this prop as per Brian's Raymonds recommendation. Much better hole shot when you are running a lot of weight and maintans speed much better.

I think you will really notice a big difference.

Doug

That is great to hear. Thanks a million

From my experience - as liitle as that may be - as you go lower in pitch you gain top end speed. Conversely, greater pitch better hole shot.

DAD,
    I think you have it backwards.
    a 14 x 18 will have more top end than a 14 x 16 and so on. Also the lower the pitch the higher the RPM's for the same speed.

I could be wrong but I had this conversation with someone else not long ago.
    If I am wrong , I apologize.

Could someone please post the model number of the OJ 14 1/4 by 14 prop that has been discussed here, and good places to order it? I am looking to upgrade after adding ballast to my XLV. I take it that a 1 1/8" shaft is the right one.

I tried...

http://propsonline.com --> occupied by cybersquatter iguide.com

http://www.propellersonline.com/OJprops4bl.php --> no matching model is apparent

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1084 --> no matching model is apparent

Thanx
    Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

No problem Ian,

Here is a PDF file:
    OJ Prop Part #s

The "XMP Edge" is what you are looking for. 14.25x14 - forget which cup size - qb12 should be able to look for you.

-Joe