Default Water getting in bilge when not running

I have a 2006 LSV and we docked and came back from dinner a few nights ago and the bilge pump was running. Then we went swimming and the bilge pump kicked on again while we were swimming in the water. Is it possible for the boat to be leaking through the packing gland even when it's not running? I just wanted to ask before I get home from work and try to get in there and find the leak.

Davy

Yes it is, mine does it. It's been leaking quite badly, the bilge kicks on probably every 15-20min. I have been meaning to change the packing on the drive shaft, just haven't had time. The bilge has no problem keeping up so I'm not too worried, although I'd change it asap.

2005 Mobius LSV 5.7 Indmar 325 (carb'd)
    Wet Sounds: SW-650 coaxial speakers [x6] Rev10 tower speakers [x2] SYN4 amp [x2] SYN Micro amp [x1] JL Audio 12W3 [x1]
    Many mods to come...
    Board: '12 Ronix One ATR & '12 Ronix One Danny Harf Bindings
    2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4: Rough Country 3x2 lift \ 32" Nitto Trail Grapplers \ 18" Incubus wheels

I would attempt to tighten the gland nut and see if that helps otherwise a repacking is in order. It is important to change the packing if you can't stop the leak and the leaking gets progressively worse in very little time.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

The gland is only supposed to drop approximately every 30 seconds
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Mine was doing this as well. I tried tightening it up one day while on the lake but no luck. Just replaced mine this past weekend. Bought the goretex flax packing from West Marine (GTU brand). Size for mine was 3/16-inch (2006 Outback V). Job was fairly easy...there a few posts with instructions on the board.
    Grant
    2006 Moomba Outback V

Thanks for the replies! I got in there this morning and it's definitely coming out the packing nut in a slow stream. Now I have to go buy some wrenches big enough to get around those nuts. If I end up having to replace the packing, after you dig the old packing out do you try to get the new packing up into the nut? Do you also put the 2-3 layers of new packing in before screwing the nut on at all?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdave View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I got in there this morning and it's definitely coming out the packing nut in a slow stream. Now I have to go buy some wrenches big enough to get around those nuts. If I end up having to replace the packing, after you dig the old packing out do you try to get the new packing up into the nut? Do you also put the 2-3 layers of new packing in before screwing the nut on at all?
    If you open up the assembly you will need to replace the cords. The cord is cheap. Also get anything besides the wax cord so you don't have to replace the cord as often. Large channel locks should work as the nut should not be on real tight. Make your cord length the same as what came out.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I took 3 chords out and put 3 back in. I mainly used the directions in the link below. Not specific to Moomba but good tutorial on the process.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box
    Grant
    2006 Moomba Outback V