Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Homemade surf rack

Well i just finished making a surf rack to go on top of the tower. I've seen a few different versions around but i wasn't about to pay several hundred dollars for one so i figured i would try my own. A friend has a shop with every imaginable tool so we bought a 2.5inch wide piece of aluminum that is 3/8 inch think and did the fabricating. I bought the tower clamps and some fabric and sewed the pad covers. This was the prototype and we made some mistakes and learned a lot so the next one will be even better. I just mounted it up and will give it a try next week as we head to Powell and report back.Attachment 22181Attachment 22182
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I'm just glad you have a friend who will let you manipulate his imaginable tool so you can get results like this. In all seriousness though, this really looks promising. This could be the prototype we are all looking for. I have more boards every year and just run out of storage. Worried about sun exposure up top but that can be remedied too. Nice work.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

looks awesome
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

Great Work. I think you might be on to something that can make you some $$ on this forum

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Looks awesome. Let us know if you plan to make any more.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

I may be interested if you make a limited run
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

I'm interested as well. Been looking for one of these for a reasonable price. Looks just like the agenda surf overhead surf rack. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    This could be the prototype we are all looking for.
    It's not his idea. He just leveraged Corson Piper's idea off wakeworld.
    http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798147

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Great Work. I think you might be on to something that can make you some $$ on this forum
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder View Post
    I may be interested if you make a limited run
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid_acid View Post
    I'm interested as well. Been looking for one of these for a reasonable price. Looks just like the agenda surf overhead surf rack. Great job.
    ^^^^ This.

Of course guys it looks just like the Agenda Racks, because that's what he used. I think it's RAD that he made himself a fantastic rack. I'd been thinking about making my own version for quite a while. But I don't think it's cool for him to start making them for others and making money for copying someone else's design. Maybe I'm being overzealous, but it's one thing for personal use, another to start making them for others...

That said, 996scott, you did an awesome job and they turned out great. What lessons did you learn? What would you do different next time?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I agree with you but at the same time, someone is going to do it regardless. iE corson piper

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    It's not his idea. He just leveraged Corson Piper's idea off wakeworld.
    http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798147

^^^^ This.

Of course guys it looks just like the Agenda Racks, because that's what he used. I think it's RAD that he made himself a fantastic rack. I'd been thinking about making my own version for quite a while. But I don't think it's cool for him to start making them for others and making money for copying someone else's design. Maybe I'm being overzealous, but it's one thing for personal use, another to start making them for others...

That said, 996scott, you did an awesome job and they turned out great. What lessons did you learn? What would you do different next time?
    I understand your point, but unless something is Patent or Copy Right its not illegal to copy and make money.

I think your looking too fare into this friend, Its a great item a lot of people could use, and I don't see a problem if he makes them and sells them for what he feels is a fair price. Now if he went to national advertising or something like that, he might run into some trouble.

I for one would want one if I could actually mount it. My tower is full on the bottom, bimini on the top, but I could use a slightly larger rack on the side for a couple newer fatter boards i just got LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]