Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maintenance costs

Hello all,

My Outback DD is due to arrive in a week, and I would apreciate your help.

I have this habit of putting $$ into a pot when I operate machinery (trucks, bobcats etc..) to cover regular maintenance. I was wondering if anyone here has a rough dollar figure for how much a DD costs per hour to maintain. I know there will be surprises, but if I can cover that I won't need to steal the neighbor kid's lunch money. Any help at all would be appreciated.

p.s. This is my first post, but I have been reading since I ordered my boat in April. Thanks to all for the great info. Makes owning for a first-timer like me less daunting.

Cheers from Canada

Default Replying to Topic 'Maintenance costs'

My Outback DD is due in the next few weeks as well. Where abouts are you? I know that my dealer has another Outback coming in with mine...what are the chances that it could be yours? I'm dealing with Muskoka Lakes Marine in Roseau, Ontario...

Cheers again from Canada...

Dave

No such luck, I'm dealing with Martin equipment in Edmonton, AB.

Enjoy your new boat!

Okay, I pulled this info up on waterski boats dallas website. Please note that these are US $$$$.

Oil change- direct drive $70 vdrive 100
    Transmission Change dd-$80 vdrive 100
    20 hr service dd $180 vdrive 200
    50 hr service dd $159 vdrive 179
    100hr service dd$300 vdrive 400
    impellor change dd $80 vdrive 100
    rope packing dd $85 vdrive 130
    engine alignnment dd $70 vdrive 90

labor rate $80.

hope this give you something to think about and by the way don' forget while you are already spending all this money go ahead and drip another $350 for a new prop.....

Doug

Depends how hard you run and how many hours you put on, but a rule of thumb: $25 to $50 per ft. of boat per season.

Be well, E

I have a 98 Mobius that I have had since 2002 and I spent about $250 shortly after I got it when the electronic igition went out and I spent another $150 this year for some linkage problems and I spent nothing in between those years. I do all of the easy work myself which up to this point is everything.

The dollars add up fast if something major happens so I would put a fair amount of money away just in case and hope for the best. If nothing happens, then you can use the money for your kids education (he he). From reading the posts, the major problems don't happen often and it depends on how much you want to do yourself for the routine stuff. The warrenty service prices look like a killer but you probably need to do those for warrenty requirements. I haven't had an shaft alignment problem but I would like to figure that out sometime. I guess when the need arises. Everything else on the list I've done before including the winterization and none of them are difficult just time consuming but I can live with my hourly rate.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Ed, I agree.

I was just trying to show those that have no mechanical ability what the going rates were.

Thank god Brian Raymond has given me enough asst. to do most of what I detailed out.

Doug

Oh, sorry, I do need to post this last::::By posting what I did I was just trying to give a example of what these bad boys run. His site was the only one I saw with posted prices of maintance.

The dealer I pulled this info is and always has been a excellent supporter of Moomba/Supra and does a lot for the wakeboarding community.

Marty Mcfly (true) really is a cool guy.

Doug

ps, invest in a back up prop before you waste anymore buck......trust me you will someday down the road bend one and it can ruin your whole trip.

also props to Brian for recommending the new oj wakeboard prop. It's baddddd.

Thanks all for getting back to me, I think I'll probably be able do most of the work myself, but i find it alot easier to put a few bucks in a jar every time I use the boat rather than have to come up with a huge lump sum.

Thanks for the advice about a spare prop. While I'm at it should I invest in a prop-puller, or can it be done without in a pinch?

Cheers

Props is a subject by itself. If you swap out props on the water you'll be under the end of the boat so you'll need a swim mask, a spare prop, a puller, wrench, and extra nut and cotter pin (in case you drop it and can't find it). I worked out a deal with the prop company on an improved prop than what came stock plus a carry bag and a puller. As a package, the cost wasn't that much more. I run the four blade prop and use the three blade stock prop as a spare. Knock on wood, it's never been used.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD