Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard To Steer

Default Hard To Steer

I have 2004 Moomba Movius LSV. Just lauched it and it's a bit$h to steer, especially at medium/higher speeds. I found this our right after I found wet warm saturated carpet under my feet....ruptured heater core.

Anyway, back to my steering. I've searched already and it sounds like there is a zirk fitting somewhere. Can somebody direct me to where I can find this please?

Also, if somebody could help tell me what type of steering cable I need and where to buy one I would appreciate it very much.

Thanx in advance for any help!
    Moomba Dad
    Ausable Lake, MI

2004 Mobius LSV

Fitting is on the inside where the rudder shaft comes through the hull. I found the best access is from the passenger side. You'll need to remove the locker side panel but still not easy to get a grease gun on it.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Default Hard To Steer

You can build an extension to attach to the zerks easy and cheap. You could even leave it on.
    Here is a pic or 2, if you have questions, ask.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433082689.335992.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433082740.846390.jpg
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

If the cable hasn't been greased regularly, water can get in and cause it to start binding. Adding grease may get it going but don't be surprised if you need to replace it. New cables almost always result in: "wow this steers so easy now".
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Yep, it steers so easy now!

We replaced it this past weekend. What a pain-in-the-a$$ though. It would have helped if I had long arms with three elbows in each to get under/around all the crap on the motor. But hey, it's done and I save a chunk of $ by doing it myself.
    Moomba Dad
    Ausable Lake, MI

2004 Mobius LSV

So my buddy had his cable replaced last year and he said it was perfect all year long. He called me from the lake yesterday and said it is now really hard to turn the wheel again. He asked me if I thought that the cable would need to be replaced again after just 1 yr. I told him I didn't think so and that I thought he should call the dealer who replaced the cable and ask them about it. Is it likely that it would be bad after just 1 yr? Do you actually grease the cable or the zerk fitting at the rudder? Just trying to pass some info to my buddy, thanks.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Just greased mine for the only time in last 7 years.
    Moomba Dad
    Ausable Lake, MI

2004 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    So my buddy had his cable replaced last year and he said it was perfect all year long. He called me from the lake yesterday and said it is now really hard to turn the wheel again. He asked me if I thought that the cable would need to be replaced again after just 1 yr. I told him I didn't think so and that I thought he should call the dealer who replaced the cable and ask them about it. Is it likely that it would be bad after just 1 yr? Do you actually grease the cable or the zerk fitting at the rudder? Just trying to pass some info to my buddy, thanks.
    If water gets in there, it could die pretty quickly. On my old boat, that happened pretty easily because the rudder end was very low in the bilge and I didn't have a float level switch on the bilge pump.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba Dad View Post
    Just greased mine for the only time in last 7 years.
    so how did you grease it?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    so how did you grease it?
    I greased the zerk fitting on the rudder. I also changed the steering cable. It's pretty difficult to access both.
    Moomba Dad
    Ausable Lake, MI

2004 Mobius LSV