Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Do you have any objective information to support this fear, apparently of transmission failure? I can see it being a problem for the couple of tuners who might try to put a supercharger or turbocharger into a Ridgeline, increasing the torque through the system. That's not the same as applying a heavy load -- the stock engine will not send more torque to the transmission in response, and the transmission is designed to handle the engine's maximum output under load.
    I sent you a PM with the full story, but the short version is that one time backing uphill into its parking spot I had a perfect storm of things happen & the trans temp light came on and the fluid smelled bad. So yeah, that freaked me out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I'll be honest...I didn't read the entire thread, BUT....

1. My wife daily drives the F-150 and her car we traded in on this was a 2011 Audi A3...BIG difference in size.
    2. Back up camera and parking sensors make it easy to park nearly anywhere.
    3. Definitely can tow it.
    4. MPG's....on my wife's 7 mile commute that is all city she averages 16.2-16.8 mpg, like EVERY time. On the highway I've seen a hair over 20mpg if I kepe it at 70mph or under and it's not crazy loaded down. I usually go 75-80 however and on road trips we pack a lot of sheeeeet, so 18-19mpg is our usually. I hand calculate at every fill up but the dash readout is pretty darn accurate.
    5. HEATED Leather Seats - definitely an option, or fairly easy to add aftermarket and I KNOW you're handy. Buy a pair of heated seats on Amazon for $75 and get Klazzio or the like leather seat covers for $500ish...they honestly look factory and fit great, just an FYI.
    6. My fords have always been reliabile.... *knocks on wood*
    7. We bought our 2014 F-150 for under $32k NEW. It's an STX Sport model, 4wd, v8. No leather/heated seats but plenty of other nice options like 20" wheels, tow package, back up camera, remote start, bedliner, fogs, sync, etc. Very nicely equipped and looks great IMO and we didn't want leather/etc in a "truck".

Pics of our truck... https://flic.kr/p/o18kWZ
    Boatless for now

My handle is beat taco. I know plenty about Tacoma's. Torched the front end off mine long before it was a thing and put a Waggy 44 under it. The tranny is bomb proof. I did blow up my motor for no apparent reason but that's another story. The Honda tranny is a pile, very well documented. Search "flashing D Honda." Going with the boat was never the issue in the Tacoma. Stopping was. Is it better than a Ridgeline, yes, considerably. It's narrower by about 6" which makes it feel much more cramped. But yes it will work. Like Mike said however it is still undersized and when you're rolling down the freeway and traffic in front of you instantly stops you will have your hands full. There's definitely more confidence pulling with a full size rig. I would buy a F150 but not a used ecoboost. Get a 5.0.
    -Jake

perhaps the colorado? not much of a chevy fan but my neighbor just bought an offroad zr2 excab and it's a pretty nice looking rig.
    I see max tow ratings at 7000 and if you look around 3/4 way down the page, It shows one towing a moomba even though they forgot to put the tower up....
    lots of smacktalk how this rig is better than the taco so do have to wade thru the crap.

http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-small-truck.html
    do like this one...

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Trason, after rethinking what you really need, it really sounds like Tacoma will fit your bill. I really think I would have one myself for my 2.0 mile drive to our ramp except I would not like to tow with it on our 9 hr trips, and if your not doing that, you don't need the space of a full size, headache of garage parking, wifes comute, payment, then go Tacoma. you may want to see if you can beg, borrow one and take if for a tow test drive before buying
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Trayson, speaking from experience, I love my Tacoma. If I didn't, I wouldn't have bought my Moomba because I decided to go with a boat rather than a new truck after I paid it off. I only have a 1 mile tow to the ramp, but the surge brakes help make stopping a non issue. It's got plenty power, the only thing I'd recommend is getting some type of side mirror extensions, I can't see around the boat. Plus the Tacoma will last longer than pretty much any truck on the market, not much dispute on that fact.

2005 Mobius LSV 5.7 Indmar 325 (carb'd)
    Wet Sounds: SW-650 coaxial speakers [x6] Rev10 tower speakers [x2] SYN4 amp [x2] SYN Micro amp [x1] JL Audio 12W3 [x1]
    Many mods to come...
    Board: '12 Ronix One ATR & '12 Ronix One Danny Harf Bindings
    2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4: Rough Country 3x2 lift \ 32" Nitto Trail Grapplers \ 18" Incubus wheels

If you get a new vehicle, Back up camera is a mandatory item. No truck should be without one.

If you are happy with the Ridgeline, then keep it. A rebuilt tranny is a lot cheaper than any newer truck. That is, if it ever needs one.

As far as Taco vs F150, there's no comparison. The F150 is better in every way. Look at the new 2.7EB. Better gas mileage than the Taco, and tow any boat you could ever buy.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

trannys will go on most vehicle around 80,00 to 100k miles anyhow, so its just part of the budget , hopefully its all part of warranty.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    If you get a new vehicle, Back up camera is a mandatory item. No truck should be without one.

If you are happy with the Ridgeline, then keep it. A rebuilt tranny is a lot cheaper than any newer truck. That is, if it ever needs one.

As far as Taco vs F150, there's no comparison. The F150 is better in every way. Look at the new 2.7EB. Better gas mileage than the Taco, and tow any boat you could ever buy.
    I'd say "better" is a relative term. I'm not bashing the F150, I love them, a lot of my friends have them; but there is no doubt a Taco will outlast an ecoboost. My taco is 8 years old, never had a major mechanical problem, my friend has a 2013 EB and has had it in for warranty work multiple times. Turbos= a lot a maintenance.

2005 Mobius LSV 5.7 Indmar 325 (carb'd)
    Wet Sounds: SW-650 coaxial speakers [x6] Rev10 tower speakers [x2] SYN4 amp [x2] SYN Micro amp [x1] JL Audio 12W3 [x1]
    Many mods to come...
    Board: '12 Ronix One ATR & '12 Ronix One Danny Harf Bindings
    2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4: Rough Country 3x2 lift \ 32" Nitto Trail Grapplers \ 18" Incubus wheels

Thanks everyone. lots to think about.

I guess no need to be in a huge hurry to make a change. If we do anything we'll have to try and drive the options and see what makes the most sense for us.

Thanks for all the insight and first hand experience.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com