Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Toyota Tacoma vs F150

Okay, let's imagine that my wife is open to the idea of getting a different vehicle... As you all know, her rig is a Ridgeline that has a 5k tow capacity that we're at the limit of. It might be fine, it might not. other than the risk of killing the tranny, the Ridgeline has been fantastic. Never spins a wheel pulling the boat out. can do 45-50mph up the steepest passes at a moderate RPM, can do 60-65+ up the same passes if I throttle it up. Has heated leather seats, digital dual climate control, power rear sliding window, fold up rear seats, and even a trunk under the bed with a tailgate that opens sideways or down. The fuel consumption is great and the Ridgeline drives like an SUV, not a typical truck because it has Independent front AND rear suspension.

But if we did make a change...

Possible Future Vehicle Requirements:
    1. Daily driver for wife with 4WD or AWD to drive in the occasional inclimante weather
    2. Comfortable and practical for the wife to daily drive to work, shopping, etc.
    3. Able to tow the XLV (probably ~5,500 pounds) 10 miles to/from the ramp 2 - 3 times a week during the season
    4. Able to tow the XLV 150 miles to/from lake once or twice a year
    5. Able to tow 35 miles to/from a lake 2 to 3 times a year
    6. Reasonable on Gas (Ridgeline currently gets 14 -16 city and up to 20 hwy)
    7. Looks decent, wife is happy with the asthetics
    8. HEATED Leather Seats. This is pretty much a non-negotiable. We have this on the Ridgeline and wouldn't do without it. It's not fair to push the wife to downgrade features
    9. Reliability is a big plus. The wife has always owned Hondas and while I'm okay with having vehicles that require a lot of care, she doesn't want that.
    10. Would like to have under 40k miles. Ridgeline currently has 33.5k miles so again, not wanting to downgrade and get a high mile truck
    11. Priced $30k to $35k. *maybe* could push to high 30's but that's it. She has about 5k equity in her Ridgeline and after trade/taxes, we need to keep her under $500/mo on a 6 year loan.

Now please keep in mind OUR criteria. I appreciate everyone's insight, but I really don't need the suggestions to buy a full sized diesel 1 ton truck because that's what you might like. We really don't haul anything in the bed, so we'll probably need a tonneau cover to replace the lost trunk that the Ridgeline has. so the bed will be clean and dry, not full of bark dust and gravel.

*also this might not even happen. it's just an idea we're exploring. It could be just as feasible to get an inexpensive tow beater (under $5k). But since the wife is open to at least looking at these two ideas, I'm researching it.

**If the ridgeline had the 6500 pound tow capacity of the Tacoma, it wouldn't even be an issue. we'd simply keep what we have. I think 6,500 should be enough for my needs. No, I won't be winning any speed contests, but I don't drive the boat fast. I'm fine doing 50 to 60 as I go to/from the ramp. So I really don't want to get more truck than we NEED, because "more truck" comes with tradeoffs in parking, fuel, etc. And I wouldn't mind parking the truck in the 3rd bay at some point, which was my plan for the Ridgeline (it takes up the whole 3rd bay)--so that aspect of the Tacoma is appealing; and the F150 probably wouldn't be feasible for that.

I have to say that when I saw this pic of a lifted Tacoma, even I was in love:
    (yes, I know it's all XDR photoshopped, but I still seriously dig the look. in fact, if it had heated/leather we'd probably go look at it tonight)

And the F150's not bad looking. this one isn't modified like above, but it does have some nice options (like air conditioned seats).
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

good luck on the search. I just replaced my 2013 RAM 2500 Diesel with a 2015 RAM 1500 Hemi. The Diesel was awesome, but too much truck. Both have the Laramie Trim so decked out, but also both are 50k+ trucks. I see a lot of people towing with Tacoma's but the ride will not compare to the Ridgeline, we have a Pilot.

I was looking at the RAM EcoDiesel, just wouldn't work for me with climbing mountains every where I go, but could be a good option, just not in your budget. The Jeep wrangler unlimited with the 4:10 axle can tow up to 7,500 pounds and can get leather heated seats in those now. Just a ton of options out there, do an advanced search on Cars.com and enter your criteria to see what you get.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

In that price and spec's I would go full size over the Tacoma. More so for the space and the cost, in our area you pay a premium for the Taco and can get a tundra or other 1/2 cheaper. The best if you can find it is a chevy 1500 LTZ with the 6.2.

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    The Jeep wrangler unlimited with the 4:10 axle can tow up to 7,500 pounds and can get leather heated seats in those now.
    Are you sure? Those have always been spec'd at 3,500 for the rubicon unlimited, which has the 4.10 gears. so I'd be shocked to see a jump to 7,500?!?!?!

Please show me where you're seeing this...

I'm guessing you're referring to the GRAND CHEROKEE limited???
    Last edited by trayson; 05-18-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post
    In that price and spec's I would go full size over the Tacoma. More so for the space and the cost, in our area you pay a premium for the Taco and can get a tundra or other 1/2 cheaper. The best if you can find it is a chevy 1500 LTZ with the 6.2.
    Wife doesn't want a full size, it's the exception to her rule that she's even willing to consider the F150. It's her daily driver. Her money covering her loan and insurance. Her truck = ultimately she has to buy off on it.

Also, we really don't need the space inside the rig. we have one 9 y/o son that is with us about 1/3 of the time. Beyond that, it's me at 5'10 and 165 pounds and the wife who's only 5'3. The vast majority of the time the back seats are empty. I'd rather have more space outside the rig for maneuverability (parking/garage) than inside or in the bed.
    Last edited by trayson; 05-18-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

dealer told me on Friday. I'm going back tomorrow so will ask about it, see if they have that spec in writing somewhere.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    dealer told me on Friday. I'm going back tomorrow so will ask about it, see if they have that spec in writing somewhere.
    I'd love to see it if they pulled that off. I mean, I'm a diehard Jeep fan and the wife loves them too. I just don't see them pulling that one off. And jeep is real forthcoming about their tow specs on their website:

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabili...Unlimited2Tab*

Hell, if they made a Wrangler Unlimited with 7,500 pounds of towing, we'd just get a brand new Rubicon! hahaha!
    Last edited by trayson; 05-18-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Cole View Post
    Have you considered looking for a VW Touareg turbo diesel.
    Wife wouldn't be interested in that.

And the irony is quite amusing... Nice first post.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I tow my outback v with my 2014 Ford F-150 fx4 with the ecoboost and it pulls it with ease. Way more power then my 08 f150 with the 5.4 had.
    2008 Outback V
    Gravity III ballast
    750 rear lockers
    Stock center

Ridgeline / Tacoma? Potatoe Patatoe

They are honestly in the same category. Your really not gaining anything with the Tacoma, if your wife is that happy with the Ridgeline then don't waste your money to buy a different vehicle with a higher, longer, or just a payment to begin with.

I personally NEVER see a Tacoma pulling a large boat, I see people buy a Tundra and pull the boat but not a Tacoma, this is still in the small truck family.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]