Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Jason05216 View Post
    I don't run it this way. Only did this while I was looking for the source of the whine. I was moving the switch around to see if there was any difference from one battery to the next and just noticed this as I went thru the off position. Only had it that way momentarily. I'm always too worried about the batteries dying to run like that.

Any thoughts on those ground loop isolators?
    Man, I hate to tell you but flipping the switch thru OFF to the other batteries with the motor running, even just temporarily is exactly how it goes bad. Going into simple detail, when you have the switch in BATT1 or BATT2 the alternator sees a load, and a voltage, and the voltage regulator is controlling things. When you switch to OFF the battery load is removed, resulting in a bunch of current with no place to go. The voltage regulator does not know how to react to the newly open circuit. If you blew the voltage regulator, now rather than putting what, 14.7 volts into the batteries, you can be putting in upwards of 22 or 25 even at RPM. If you blew the regulator the damage is done, but you won't know it till you hit the water and throttle up...

There is a chance you are okay, but it will be safer to try and find out that your regulator is still working right...

It will help to know this: Is the entire boat wired through the switch? To be sure, start with nothing in the boat on. Turn the battery switch to off. Will the motor crank? Will the stereo come on? Do you have an automatic charging relay or dual battery isolator in the boat? If you can still crank the motor with the battery switch in the OFF position you likely have some sort of dual battery system, and you are likely going to be fine, as the alternator is hopefully hard-wired to your starting bank.

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 08-03-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Don't think I did any damage to the regulator. Have run the boat for a couple of weekends with no issues.

I'm pretty sure I have eliminated the whine in my system. When I ran the new RCA cables I left the existing ones in the boat. Last weekend I did some testing using the old RCA cable and had no noise. Tonight I hooked everything up using the old RCA cables to the amps for the tower and in boats and used one of the new RCA cables for the sub. No noise at all. Glad to have solved this after chasing it around all summer.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR