Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Securing tower speakers

I did some googling and haven't found an answer I'm looking for. One of my tower speakers swivels/ moves at the point it's attached to the tower. I can't tighten the alan screw any more. Do I need to put more rubber gasket b/t the mount and tower? If so where can I find some? It's becoming a problem because the speaker will cut out if it moves too much on the water. I guess it's causing a short in the wire.

2005 Mobius LSV 5.7 Indmar 325 (carb'd)
    Wet Sounds: SW-650 coaxial speakers [x6] Rev10 tower speakers [x2] SYN4 amp [x2] SYN Micro amp [x1] JL Audio 12W3 [x1]
    Many mods to come...
    Board: '12 Ronix One ATR & '12 Ronix One Danny Harf Bindings
    2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4: Rough Country 3x2 lift \ 32" Nitto Trail Grapplers \ 18" Incubus wheels

Based on your signature, you have Rev-10. Those are universal tube clamps, but only down to 2" for the standard clamp and for below 2" tubes, they have the mini clamp. Id guess your 05 has the 1-7/8" tube. 1st, I would start by measuring the tube to make sure you've got the best clamp size for the tube. Next, make sure you are using the proper length bolts. For the small tube, you would likely need the 1-1/4" bolt or the 1-3/4 bolt at the most. Finally, contact wet sounds about getting a set of the rubber inserts that come with the clamps. If yours did not, id say they were a very early set of Rev's.

Before buttoning up the clamps, you need to drop the pod down and repair what is likely a pinched wire. I would also put in a snap bushing to protect form further chaffing.

As far as the moving clamp I was having the same problem on my 08. I called wet sounds and they said that my best bet was to take off the clamps and wrap the tower with something like skateboard tape. Because mine were no longer produced they didn't have replacement gaskets. I ended up using tennis racquet Handel wrap, feels pretty secure but just put it on so time will tell. Better than it was though, no movement now.
    2008 LSV on the way out
    '17 CRAZ!!! on the way in

Ok, I'll measure the tower. They both have rubber inserts under the clamps. One of the speakers is solid as a rock, that's why I'm puzzled about the other one moving. I think I'll just take it off, fix the pinched wire, and wrap the tower with some handle wrap.

Wet Sounds: SW-650 coaxial speakers [x6] Rev10 tower speakers [x2] SYN4 amp [x2] SYN Micro amp [x1] JL Audio 12W3 [x1]
    Many mods to come...
    2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4: Rough Country 3x2 lift \ 32" Nitto Trail Grapplers \ 18" Incubus wheels

When you drop the pod, check the bolt length. There are three lengths that are included with each clamp kit. I listed the medium and short above. If the medium or long bolts are used, drop down to the next shorter length and that will likely take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    When you drop the pod, check the bolt length. There are three lengths that are included with each clamp kit. I listed the medium and short above. If the medium or long bolts are used, drop down to the next shorter length and that will likely take care of it.
    I dropped it yesterday. Bolt length is fine. One speaker is secure, the other isn't quite. The one that moves has stripped the rubber seal on the + and - wires. I need a quick fix for the weekend. Can I just wrap them with electrical tape? I'm going to get some more rubber gasket from autozone to help secure the speaker.

Many mods to come...

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Based on your signature, you have Rev-10. Those are universal tube clamps, but only down to 2" for the standard clamp and for below 2" tubes, they have the mini clamp. Id guess your 05 has the 1-7/8" tube. 1st, I would start by measuring the tube to make sure you've got the best clamp size for the tube. Next, make sure you are using the proper length bolts. For the small tube, you would likely need the 1-1/4" bolt or the 1-3/4 bolt at the most. Finally, contact wet sounds about getting a set of the rubber inserts that come with the clamps. If yours did not, id say they were a very early set of Rev's.

Before buttoning up the clamps, you need to drop the pod down and repair what is likely a pinched wire. I would also put in a snap bushing to protect form further chaffing.
    Couple things: I think do need some shorter bolts to make it clamp tight. Any idea what size (diameter) they are? Also, I think I may have to re-wire them, I can't seem to find a diagram of how to do so...

Many mods to come...

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Couple things: I think do need some shorter bolts to make it clamp tight. Any idea what size (diameter) they are? Also, I think I may have to re-wire them, I can't seem to find a diagram of how to do so...
    The threads are M8 x 1.25. The short bolts that come with the clamps are 30mm in length Stainless Steel Allen head.

Theres only a black neg and red pos lead for the speakers. Not sure what color the wires in the tower could be.

Ok, thanks. I'm going to try to order some screws and find some more rubber gasket to secure it better after I re-wire it.

Many mods to come...