Default Replying to Topic 'Stereo System Upgrading….'

The old Rad-a-cage towers are 1 5/8” (1.66). You can get decent looking clamps from Monster Tower.com

E

Default Stereo System Upgrading….

I’m looking to upgrade the stereo system on my 2000 Mobius V. I’m looking at replacing all 4 speakers and installing 2 on the tower. I’m also going to replace my head unit. I’m going to do marine grade for all of those and probably run a regular automotive amp for the tower speakers. I’m going to run the interior speakers off the head unit and the tower speakers off the amp. I’m not looking to go broke on this either. I would like to find a head unit with an ipod hook up or a auxiliary input. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brands are good and what ones to stay away from?
    Also does anyone happen to know the diameter of the older style Moomba towers?
    Thanks….

Im not sure about all your inquiries but, I did some looking around and below is a link to an alpine unit that comes with hookups so you can jack your ipod diretcly into the head unit comews with all the needed cables too!

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9857
    2005 Moomba Outback

I'd save your money on the marine grade stuff if I were you. At least on the speakers. Most of the speakers out there are made of materials that water won't hurt. You'll get better performance for your dollar by going with the non-marine stuff. I'm not sure where the head unit is mounted on the 2000's but it it's in the glove box like some of the later years I'd definitely go with something other than a marine head unit. I have been real impressed with the Kenwood marine head unit they're using in the new boats however. It's got a ton of flexibility and adjustments you can make to fine tune the sound.

I just did an upgrade to my system. Im a nerd when it comes to reading about that kind of stuff and try to squeeze every last drop of sound system for my buck. I did comparisons on all the manufacturers that sold wired remotes with a display (Clarion, Sony, Kenwood, Jensen, Dual, Pioneer). I compared the remotes with the head units side by side (Crutchfield makes that easy) and decided to go with Pioneer (DEH-P7700 - Ebay). I chose this head unit because it plays mp3 files and has an optional AUX input. You can browse folders on the display like you navigate explorer on your computer. It also is Satelite Radio ready. Its not Sirius or XM specific, either will work. One negative about the headunit is that it has only 2v preout. Their Premier range of headunits have 4v preout, otherwise their options are identical. I really like the subwoofer control so you can tweak it to get just that right about of bass without rattling your boat apart. The wired remote (CD-MR80 - Ebay) has a nice easy to read display and the green color matches the color of the guages. The only drawback was that you can't hook up a second wired remote for the transom. Ive gotten around that by installing an IR extender with the recieving end peeking out just under the padded engine cover on my LSV. The wireless remote that comes with the Pioneer head unit is tiny and fits nicely in my waterproof plastic bag that I use for my cellphone. I also went with Pioneer TS-A1681R speakers.(Pricegrabber.com - Worldwide Distributors) They are water resistant and and sound awesome in the boat. (I REALLY wanted Polk Momo's but those were too spendy). I also added the CD-RB20 (AUX input - Ebay) so I can input either my Sirius reciever or an IPOD. Added the 6 CD changer (PDX-680 - Ebay) for a final touch. I already had two 10" kicker subs and the zx300.1 amp. (Side note about Pricegrabber, they help you find the best source for just about anything, even including shipping cost comparisons. You might find a cheap price for something but its being shipped from the other side of the country. This eliminates that by including the price and adding shipping costs based on your zip code and ranks them by total cost automatically for you.)
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold

Thanks for the info. I’ve got a few ideas.

Jim, maybe I’ll see ya out on Waubesa some time.

Is yours blue? I think I may have seen you last weekend. If you see a round headed nerd skiing behind a black LSV, stop by and say hello.
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold