Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for something that might not exist

I am very big into music and can't even imagine being on the boat without tunes. I however listen to a lot of music that is on Souncloud and other streaming only apps. The downside to this is that certain parts of my lake have dead zones with no service. Is there some kind of hotspot I can build into the boat? Supposedly the new Chevy cars come with built in wifi, what are they using?
    2015 Moomba Mojo
    Black Flake/Intense Green
    Custom Sea-Dek Teak Floor
    Shaved, 5% Tint, SeaBlazeX & Spectrum
    1100lb Rears Upgrade, 2016 Flow Surf System
    WS-420SQ, WS-Rev10s, JL 2x12w6, 6xMX650s, 2xM600/1, M600/6, M400/4
    LED's in all the right places

2001 Supra 22SSV SOLD
    1991 Malibu Sunsetter SOLD

They are likely connecting to the same cell service, that which your phone is dropping. Good chance they are using a booster antenna though. Much easier to do with a hard wired base unit as opposed to a pocket phone. Much like the days bag phones that could reach WAY further then modern phones because of the lack of cell antenna as compared to today.

Why not down load the music rather than stream? Thats why I like the Beast By Dre, soon to be relaunched by Apple.

My new Ram has HotSpot and it basically uses my Phone Data plan so really not a good option for me.

I also notice that even in my truck it will drop out Serius pretty easily in the hills out by my house.

On a boat if you don't have cell signal a Hot Spot isn't going to help, your only option is try Serius radio, you can buy a receiver unit and connect it to the boat. Then you are using Satalite radio, more reliable in most settings.

I feel the same as you do about music, I downloaded a lot the first couple summers, now my local lake has a cell tower on the mountain with my carrier, so it helps a ton. I still switched over and got Beats Music on me and the Mrs phones and I can download the tracks to my phone with playlists for lakes we goto with no signal.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Cheap USB flash drive and 4-8hrs of music and your set!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Consider a WiFi extender/amplifier... Something like WIFI RANGER.

These devices go out and find a wifi hotspot, even if weak and lock onto it. The signal is amplified a lot. At that point, your boat becomes the wifi hotspot and you don't use data. This as long as the WiFi amplifier can find a shore-based hot-spot to connect to...

its a long-shot, but there are some GOOD wifi extenders that coastal cruisers use off-shore to stay connected to land-based WiFi hotspots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' It View Post
    I am very big into music and can't even imagine being on the boat without tunes. I however listen to a lot of music that is on Souncloud and other streaming only apps. The downside to this is that certain parts of my lake have dead zones with no service. Is there some kind of hotspot I can build into the boat? Supposedly the new Chevy cars come with built in wifi, what are they using?
    Switch to Spotify. You can download the music and play in your "dead zones" Not the mention the sound quality is better than Pandora and Sound Cloud!
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by smorris7 View Post
    Switch to Spotify. You can download the music and play in your "dead zones" Not the mention the sound quality is better than Pandora and Sound Cloud!
    ^^^^ This. and Pandora has so many LESS songs in their library. it's amazes me that people still use Pandora when other services offer so much more.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

we don't ever use pandora on the computer anymore. Spotify mainly. But the pandora app on the smart tv's is completely different and like it much better than computer. I have not idea why but better library and no ads.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    we don't ever use pandora on the computer anymore. Spotify mainly. But the pandora app on the smart tv's is completely different and like it much better than computer. I have not idea why but better library and no ads.
    So all we need to do is put a Smart TV in our boat? I'll get right on that.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

the new gm stuff uses the telematics communication interface module to act as a wireless LAN using 4g LTE to connect to the internet, you have to purchase a data plan in order to use it. So, something like that probably wouldnt work in your dead zones. I download my music and have it saved on my phone and most of the time thats all I use, unless we're tired of hearing the playlist. I'll open up pandora for a little while
    2002 moomba möbius lsv
    exiled
    2 30.2 amplifiers
    1 javelin
    4 xm9's
    6 sx65m's
    1 xi12d