Default Strange Stereo Symptoms

I have the Kicker KMX 400.2 driving the tower speakers and a Kicker 800.5 driving the in boat speakers. I was getting a popping noise in the speakers when turning the battery switch to the off position. The stereo rocker switch was in the off position. Took it in for service and have it looked at. While troubleshooting, the tech discovered that when the battery switch was turned on, the amps would power up for about 30-60 seconds then turn off. The rocker switch was in the off position. When he turned the stereo on, he noticed the volume in the towers would waiver at higher volume. When he disconnected the 400.2 from the system all symptoms went away. Plugged it back in the symptoms returned. The dealer is replacing the amp under warrantee along with the RCAs and speaker wire to the tower. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how the amps were able to power up without the appropriate signal from the head unit. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?
    1991 Cobia Monte Carlo 188E (Sold)
    2014 Moomba Mojo (Sold)
    Next ??

It is likely a very simple non-warranty issue.

The "waking up" of the amplifier can be accomplished 3 different ways; +12V at the remote turn-on terminal, DC offset, or signal on the inputs. I would guess that more than likely the slide switch that sets the type of "wake up" signal it wants to see was either set incorrectly or was accidentally changed. The switch in question is on the wiring side of the amp. In a normal factory setup it shuold be set to 12V and there should be a small turn-on wire connected to the REM terminal between the big power wire terminals. The head unit's turn-on lead, usually a blue wire or a blue wire with white stripe is the 12V turn-on lead. That is what should be connected to both the REM terminal on the 400.2 and the 800.5.

There is a chance too that the radio is sending a turn-on signal upon battery switch power-up. Even though the stereo rocker is off, the primary yellow power wire for the head unit is NOT run through the stereo switch but rather straight to the batt switch.

Check both amplifiers to ensure that they are set to 12V at the AUTO TURN ON switch.

I would probably ask that you get your service tech to contact me directly to make sure the system is wired right. We are very thorough to provide very clear system diagrams but every once in a while things get goofy.

Phil
    Kicker

Could you PM contact information and I will have them contact you. I think they are out today but can they contact you on saturday?
    1991 Cobia Monte Carlo 188E (Sold)
    2014 Moomba Mojo (Sold)
    Next ??