Default slalom skiing behind a Mobius LS

Does anyone have any comment on how well the Mobius LS performs to tow a slalom skier at 34 mph? With the ballasts embty, does this provide a reasonably low wake? I am thinking about making this purchase but wondering if it is either the wrong model or if I should consider a mastercraft. Thanks.

Default Replying to Topic 'slalom skiing behind a Mobius LS'

The regular Outback hull is smaller, narrower and does not have the stepped rear end. So it is really an apples to oranges comparrison. The new 21.6', 97" hull is really designed for wakeboarding, but the LS (direct drive) models are better than the LSV's by a bit... I would say you need to look at it yourself and possibly ski behind it. There are some here that have the '05 LS wich is close (20.8' , 95" and some stepping of the hull). Not sure if anyone has posted an 06 LS yet.

-Joe

Default Replying to Topic Mobius LS'

i dont know about the mobius. but i do know that i just bought a new 06' outback V drive , which has the hydraulic wake plate, and when i bought it the dealer told me that the v-drives are better for wakeboarding , and kneeboarding, because the engine in the rear adds more weight to the rear of the boat , for an increased wake, and my buddy has a direct drive outback, and my v-drive makes a quite considerably larger wake, but you can control the wake w/ the wakeplate. the v-drive lifts up the front of the boat when the plate is not down, but at the 30 - 35 mph speed , to me , the wakes between the two are not that different, but if you are just going to be skiing, i would probably say the direct drive for you , but the reason i went w/ he v-drive is for the extra room inside, but as in anything, the choice is all in your prefference. the mastercrafts are really awesome boats, but cost more $$$. and the moomba/ mobius are less$$$ but you get a lot of boat for less $$$ to me. i guess you should test before you buy.

happy boating----------jason

If you go with the MC you will still probably have to make a decision regarding direct/V drive.

I have never skiied behind a V drive but I have skiied my 99 Mobius with 600lbs of fat sacks and a couple people at 32 mph. If you can hold an edge and carve you can deal with it, but it is not fun.

I would think if you are primarily a skier, a Direct Drive slalom oriented boat is the way to go. Yes it is not a party boat. If you want a party boat - get a Deck Boat.

My 2cts.
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I bought an 325hp Outback DD with a tower because I am primarily a slalom skier. My 12yo daughter is getting into wakeboarding (we all have boards) so the tower helps her cause a little, but the wake will always be small. My wife likes the roominess of a v-drive and would like a little more freeboard (she hasn't swamped the bow in weeks.) I figure that when they can come up with $30k to buy a boat, they can decide what kind of wake they want. This is my first boat, so I was pretty clear about what I wanted. For now there are far more wakeboard boats in our circle of friends, so it is easy to switch around. For me, there is nothing like skiing behind a little red hot rod with almost no bump in the wake.

Just my $.02

Dave

I own an '05 Mobius LS and ski (& board) behind it all the time. I notice just a slight difference in the size of the wake and hole shot from my previous boat a Supra Comp. Unless you're a tournament skier, you're going to like the LS better than the Outback as it rides better through everyday usage than a "Comp" like boat. I looked at both MC and the Moomba...don't believe the hype of a MC...save yourself 10K and put it into buying more of a boat with a Moomba.

Good luck!

The Outback V is my first v drive and i have skied behind it a lot in the past few weeks. I find it has a rough spot behind the rooster tail but a far as the wake no problem cutting through them. While everyone is correct it is not a DD it is still a good wake the deep keel and 2 tracking fins make it stable and do not require a lot of adjustment when the skier is pulling hard. I have found that there is more room with the V drive but then again it allows for people to bring more junk and clutter up the boat. Try em both and see what you prefer.

Scott
    Share The Water
    2006 Outback V

I have a 2004 mobius LS, I have had one person tell me my wake is better for skiing than their 1994 Nautique .....that was at a cshorter line length....apparently at a longer line length it has a pretty hard bump.