Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 part Exile Speaker Question

I am going to be rewiring my 4 EXILE speakers.

new 12 gauge wire

I presently have 2 speakers soldered to left channel wire, 2 speakers soldered to right channel wire. each joint is then covered with shrink wrap tubing and flexible vinyl conduit.

Questions:

1. what is the wire gauge coming out of EXILE SXT65 speakers?

2. Is soldering the best way to connect or is there something new I am not aware of (3-way crimp connector, etc). I'm looking for something very weather and UV proof.

1) doesnt really matter. The rest of the circuit needs to be adequate for the distance and wattage. Making a short jumper from the pods pigtail to your 12ga junction, O dont see why 14ga would work just fine.

2) Depends on who you ask. ABYC suggest a butt connector with gel filled heat shrink. Next would a non-insulated butt covered with gel filled heat shrink. ABYC says a soldered joint creates a section of non flexible wire that is prone to break. Although I agree with the theory, im not opposed to a soldered connection in certain cases.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    1) doesnt really matter. The rest of the circuit needs to be adequate for the distance and wattage. Making a short jumper from the pods pigtail to your 12ga junction, O dont see why 14ga would work just fine.

2) Depends on who you ask. ABYC suggest a butt connector with gel filled heat shrink. Next would a non-insulated butt covered with gel filled heat shrink. ABYC says a soldered joint creates a section of non flexible wire that is prone to break. Although I agree with the theory, im not opposed to a soldered connection in certain cases.
    Good point about fracturing a solder joint. If a heavy gauge and non-strain-relieved wire is soldered into a stationary circuit board or terminal, for example, in a boat where you incur significant shock and vibration, then you can expect this junction to eventually fracture leading to a cold solder joint. However, if you have an in-line solder joint on a flexible link of moderate gauge wire then there is no such risk.
    I prefer solder and heat shrink in the correct application. There are some very good quality crimps and crimping tools. I would accept either if both received the correct execution.

I used the "western union" solder joint, and there is plenty of cable to ensure flexibility for all the bouncing around the tower is subjected to.

It was a real PITA soldering after the speakers were installed on the tower.

Had to drag all that stuff up there including a sheet of plywood to keep solder from dripping down into the boat.

Think 12 gauge is overkill? I haven't obtained that yet and I do have a spool of good 14 gauge wire.

Amp = Exile Harpoon.
    Last edited by slipperyrockTKE300; 04-12-2015 at 08:07 AM.

^^ ah screw it. After thinking about this, If I'm gonna pull new wires might as well just go with 12 AWG. I guess sometimes more IS more.

What's a good trick for using the existing wires to pull single conductor 12 ga wires? Tape two to each wire?

Theres nothing wrong with going a little overkill in wire gauge. To honestly answer what a sufficient wire gauge would be, one part of that equation is missing, amp wattage.

What's a good trick for using the existing wires to pull single conductor 12 ga wires? Tape two to each wire?

not sure of amp wattage. I have the harpoon, it's not bridged.

12ga is fine for your setup

I just pulled new wire through the tower this week.

I used the 4 conducter 12 gauge from monoprice as new wire so one wrap had 4 speaker wires in it. I pierced a hole about 3 inches from the end of each wire and fished string though each side for more strength when I pulling on the wires. I used the existing speaker wire to pull new speaker wire and the string one way and than I had the string to pull the second speaker wire the other way. it wasn't easy my joints kept getting stuck on the turns..........

now for the funny part the wife says put some KY on it and wah lah slid right through.......true story
    2008 22SSV Worlds

did you run the new wire with the tower in the upright position?