Thread: Polk DB651?

Default Polk DB651?

These speakers seem to get great reviews from everyone. Will they be an upgrade over the factory Kicker 6.5's that came in a 2008 XLV?

I am trying to upgrade my system on a budget and they seem to be the best option as I can have 6 for under $200

Are your Kicker's amped?

I don't think the swap will gain you much ground.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Yes they are amped, but look old. I am sure they came in the boat in 08. Are there any other options that won't break the bank?

The Polk db651 is a great entry level option.

I assumed new boat originally. Not sure what speaker was in the 08 but you might pull the model number an compare specs. I'd think it could take 50-60 watts a piece, like the polks, though. That's were I was saying it might not be worth the upgrade.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I bought 6 of these speakers in 2010 - back when they were on sale for like $20 each (not exactly sure of the cost, but they were dirt cheap).

I paired the polks wih a JL audio marine amp (had it tuned by a retailer/installer) and I absolutely love the sound quality.

Sold the stock 2009 Kickers to someone on the forum.
    Last edited by slipperyrockTKE300; 04-07-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Are your Kicker's amped?

I don't think the swap will gain you much ground.
    Agreed, I think most Polk upgrades came from the OEM kenwoods , the kickers should perform close .
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Really depends on which kicker marines you have. I believe your boat may have come with the OEM KM6103. If so, it has a .5 "W" style tweeter but a continuous mid-bass cone. The Polk is going to have a .75 dome tweeter, but its pole mounted. These will certainly sound different, but its a hard call as to whether or not its going to be worth it to you. If you were looking to purchase one or the other Polk all the way. Its larger tweeter will be a little more aggressive with a little less mid-bass. The 6130 is a little more balanced due to the smaller tweeter. This is a pro at rest but a con while under way.

If your boat happens to have the KM6200, doubtful, then Id say no, not worth the change. The 6200 also has a .75 dome tweeter and like the 6130, a continuous cone. good balance but enough highs to compete with the wind, engine etc.