Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool XM9's or REV 10's no arguments please!!

So I'm not trying to start any brand wars here as I know both speakers are great. My question is it worth spending what looks to be around 1000 dollars extra to get 2 pairs of rev 10s and an amp over 2 pairs of XM9's amped? I have Pro 60's right now and they are super harsh I want a warmer sound but still want the projection as the crew is mixed evenly between Surfing/Wakeboarding/PartyCoving. Im pretty sure I'll be happy with both speakers but just wondering if that Extra 2" of driver is enough to justify the cost?

Thanks guys.
    2005 Outback LSV-Assault 325

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Perhaps you are asking the question in hopes to hear that 4 xm9's are plenty ...... With 4 Rev10's, you remove the "hope" and, instead, will "know" you have plenty

I'm sure you would be happy with either. The 10's are going to sound better up close, though, IMO.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default XM9's or REV 10's no arguments please!!

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

^ see
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Honestly I think you have answered your own question. "....just wondering if that extra 2" of driver is enough to justify the cost?" Do the math.
    When comparing an 8-inch to 10-inch you only see a difference of 2". In other words 25% more. That would be just audible but not earth moving. And that would first appear to be modest. However, it's anything but modest. So instead look at these two circles from a pure mathematical standpoint. What you will find is that a small change in circumference converts to a huge change in surface area. Radius squared times Pie = surface area. Again, using the most objective terms, simply do the math. So now the real difference is substantial and substantially audible.
    In order to remove the brand issue let's look at it in other more objective terms. Compare an 8-inch Wetsounds Rev8 to a 10-inch Wetsounds Rev10 and ask yourself the same question. Is that 2" diameter a difference? Or totally disregarding brand, is there a difference between an 8-inch and 10-inch subwoofer?
    Now we know that surface area is king in open air. That's why just about every company has discontinued their 6.5" HLCD Proaxials. They all sounded bad. No brand is excluded.
    But here's another commonly overlooked factor between an 8 and 10". POD DISPLACEMNENT. The pod displacement for the 10-inch is double that of the 8-inch. And until you increase pod displacement you cannot extend your midbass response and warm up the speaker's balance. Again, it's pure math. And it is clearly audible.

Thanks guys I figured I'd be happy with either choice. Probably just like id be happy with Rev8's, I think anything will be an improvement over the Pro60's for sure. How much difference in hang height on the tower is there between the two. Im already really good at trying to knock myself unconscious with the one pair of 60s lol that was my only other reason for leaning towards 8" drivers.

aggietb,
    If you are comparing apples to apples, it is not an additional $1000 for the Wetounds double 10-inch amplified system.
    Two pair of Wetsounds Rev10s plus an SD2 amplifier is $3045 ""before"" discount.
    Two pair of Exile XM9s plus an XM30.2 amplifier is $2750 before the package discount which brings it down to $2475 once discounted.
    When you apply the exact same discount percentage to the Wetsounds package, which is available for the asking, you are only at a difference of $265. Wetsounds dealers will always meet-comp the percentage of discount.
    Now you are comparing 840 watts from the Exile amplifier to 1260 watts from the Wetsounds amplifier....which is another audible difference in the most objective terms and without brand bias. For a $265 difference.

Didn't realize there was such a discount David. so much thinking to do. lol

Very happy with my 4 xm9 s and heard two rev 10s at SSF on a tige, but the sounded great as well.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold