Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boss amps....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-11ZX4...310d88&vxp=mtr

search ebay for used quality stuff, "another mans junk is another mans treasure"
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Remember guys it's an older used I/O. He doesn't need a stero system worth 2x the value of the boat. He has a Kia , why would you want to put a mofo stereo in a non mofo boat. Unless is purely because you can!
    That's why I said precision power. and others threw out some names that would get him by. I also agree with the idea of getting used stuff. I built a great budget system on my last boat using Rockford Fosgate and Phoenix Gold amps. stuff that was either used, or new but a couple years old. Heck, even the kenwoods/sony/alpine/pioneer stuff would be better and offer more piece of mind than Boss.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Boss amps....

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Boss is the bottom end of the audio world. Think bayliner. If you're going to do with anything that is on the cheap but seems to have a decent following go with the Phantom series by Precision Power. I have a whole thread on Wakeworld about their amps.
    Again with the Bayliner jabs... Lol... I owned a very reasonably priced Bayliner for 5 years with zero warranty issues and it performed in all aspects but size... It was a 185. Since our boating centered around water sports and boat prices skyrocket as you move into the 20+ ft territory we leaned toward an inboard and Moomba fit the bill with features and price. Yet, I hear the same comments about Moomba... Even from owners of fancy Natiques which have had their share of warrant issued as well.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd agree there are far better products at or near the same price point. I guess I've been lucky with not having issues... I've had boss, American legacy, Sound ordinance, JBL and other "budget brands" and they've gotten the job done for the time I've needed them. From the sounds of it, this guy is looking for more sound at low cost... Maybe not so worried about efficiency, cross over settings, fancy LED's or other features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyrockTKE300 View Post
    For about $135 he can get a Boss Audio MR1000 amp.

"1000W 4-Channel MOSFET Bridgeable Marine Power Amplifier"
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Remember guys it's an older used I/O. He doesn't need a stero system worth 2x the value of the boat. He has a Kia , why would you want to put a mofo stereo in a non mofo boat. Unless is purely because you can!
    All three amps price that I listed are in that same $135 price.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    Again with the Bayliner jabs... Lol... I owned a very reasonably priced Bayliner for 5 years with zero warranty issues and it performed in all aspects but size... It was a 185. Since our boating centered around water sports and boat prices skyrocket as you move into the 20+ ft territory we leaned toward an inboard and Moomba fit the bill with features and price. Yet, I hear the same comments about Moomba... Even from owners of fancy Natiques which have had their share of warrant issued as well.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd agree there are far better products at or near the same price point. I guess I've been lucky with not having issues... I've had boss, American legacy, Sound ordinance, JBL and other "budget brands" and they've gotten the job done for the time I've needed them. From the sounds of it, this guy is looking for more sound at low cost... Maybe not so worried about efficiency, cross over settings, fancy LED's or other features.

Sorry if my analogy rubs ya the wrong way. It probably wasn't the best analogy anyway. Bayliner is cheap and utilitarian. "performed" is subjective. I had the displeasure once of driving a 3-cylinder Geo Metro on the german autobahns once. it "performed" in that it got me from my sister's house to the ski resorts in the alps. But it sucked as I was maxing it out at 85mph getting passed like I was standing still by BMW's and Audi's. You can guess that I don't drive a Geo metro, and it's probably not too hard to figure out that I do drive the latter now.

Boss isn't "utilitarian" in my opinion... just cheap and tries to over-represent itself.

The only features the OP should be worried about are quality of the power put out with minimal distortion and the ultimate reliability of the product. IMO, I think Boss will fall short in this category.

Distortion will kill speakers faster than anything. And we all should know by now that under-powering equipment is bad news. So at the minimum, I think that since it's pretty well agreed that Boss over-represents its capabilities, that it's in turn likely that the consumers are unknowingly under-powering their speakers and are likely also delivering higher levels of THD as well.

I guess it's more like thinking you're getting an HD cable TV signal for 1/2 price but instead getting a lower res distorted signal. But in audio, you risk damaging your speakers if you give them too much distortion...

I'd rather have the OP go with a more trusted brand.
    Last edited by trayson; 04-06-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Boss amps....

But Trayson... It has 1000 watts! 😜
    All points spot on, no worries on the Bayliner analogy... It's just that there are certainly more accurate and appropriate ones to use.

2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    But Trayson... It has 1000 watts! ��
    All points spot on, no worries on the Bayliner analogy... It's just that there are certainly more accurate and appropriate ones to use.

Probably. it's just the familiarity that drew to to it.

1000 watts my a$$! LOLOL.

Bottom line is that for the OP there are better, more trusted names at the same price and no reason to give money to a company like Boss.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Maybe the chinese hammer or tape measure you buy at Harbor Freight compared to a Stanley one. Or maybe their air tools compared to Bostich or Porter Cable.

Here's a better analogy. Compare your Ford, Chevy, Toyota, whatever to this car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9CeHVGE0s
    Last edited by kaneboats; 04-06-2015 at 03:25 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Maybe the chinese hammer or tape measure you buy at Harbor Freight compared to a Stanley one. Or maybe their air tools compared to Bostich or Porter Cable.

Here's a better analogy. Compare your Ford, Chevy, Toyota, whatever to this car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9CeHVGE0s
    But I got my tape measure FREE from harbor freight with a coupon!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Man, these Boss Audio V's Bayliner threads always go south fast due to those Boss Fan boyz