Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Boss amps....

Good to hear Ed.

I suppose it all depends on what speakers he wanted to install on the tower as well, but a pretty solid Exile Harpoon demo can be had for ~$280 on the website: http://exileaudio.com/store/index.ph...o-harpoon.html

As many others have mentioned, there are lots of other options at the same price point as the boss. I was pretty fond of this ~$100 JBL amp in my last boat, it's cheap and pretty solid... but depending on what you go with may not have enough power. I used it for cabins. http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MA6004-4-C...rine+amplifier
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Are BOSS amps decent? No, they are the bottom of price-point. Is it going to deliver the advertised power, no, probably about 1/3rd of that even with all chnls driving at 2 ohm. The chassis mounted fuses give a little clue. Amp dont "make power" they convert DC battery to usable speaker wattage. Its take a certain amount of amp consumption to produce that speaker wattage, there is no magic way to do it.

Here is what jumped out to me! To achieve this goal, your friend is going to need some HLCD speakers and respectable wattage to drive them. Past the point of verified output, amp brand is irrelevant. But, better quality amps are, well, just better. David pointed to a couple obvious things.

I would suggest something like the Memphis Audio 6.5" HLCD as a budget wake range setup. Bridge them a decent, better than BOSS, 4 chnl with a 200w rms x 2 @ 4 ohm bridged output.
    Minor correction, I forget the Memphis is a 2 ohm speaker, so I doubt you will find a 2 ohm bridgeable 4 chnl. Look for a 2 chnl thats got a 150-200W rms x 2 @ 2 ohm. May be out of the budget, but the Kicker KXM400.2 would do it.

so where's that illustration of beating the dead horse when it IS needed?

Forgive them Joel - sometimes Moomba owners just can't help themselves.