Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Echo Skis 5k Budget Build

Hey everyone,

My name is Ryan and I'm with Echo Skis. We are starting a 5 thousand dollar budget build. Now the boat we have, a 1985 Sylvan Ski-Tastic, isn't exactly a Moomba but we would like to the do the build here since this forum seems to have a really good group of do it yourselfers. Also, we are using some parts from a gravity games 3 ballast system. So, we might have some questions for the Moomba community about that.

Here are some goals of the project.
    -The boat must be competent slalom tug for a 15 off skier while also being able to provide an ok wakeboarding wake and a workable surf wake.
    -We also want to be able to switch event to event fast. So, our goal is to be able to fill our ballast in less than 5 minutes and drain in less than 8.
    -Since our boat has pretty low sides we don't want list the boat a ton so we are going to add a surf system to it.
    -Automation, I want to just flick a switch for the ballast and the surf system.
    -All of this has to be done for a total of $5000 (that includes the boat!)

Here is a rough budget:
    $1500 -Boat(1985 Sylvan Ski-Tastic direct drive
    $500 -Ballast system
    $200 -Surf system
    $50 -Surf platform modification
    $600 -Driveline repair(the boat has a bad vibration)
    $500 -Trailer Brakes
    $200 -Hydrofurf
    $800 -Tower/tower accessories
    $600 -Miscellaneous
    $5000 -Total

We will have the boat here on the 19th and parts have already started coming in. Hopefully we will have something worth while to show in the next few days.

~Ryan
    Echo Skis

SWEET! Look forward to this build

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSkis View Post
    want to be able to switch event to event fast. So, our goal is to be able to fill our ballast in less than 5 minutes and drain in less than 8.
    -
    this cracks me up. in today's ballast world, asking for those fill/drain times is like using 14.4 dialup to access the internet

anxious to see the build and see the end results. that's a great bottom line total to get a family on the water in a first boat. bet this might be a thread that's reposted a bunch for others not wanting to shell out g's for a new boat.
    should start a thread when you begin and post a lot of pics along the way.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

"The boat must be competent slalom tug for a 15 off skier while also being able to provide an ok wakeboarding wake and a workable surf wake." The use of "competent, ok, and workable" is vague. The boat companies would love to design a boat that can do all three activities very well but they all end up with different models for different activities. Not many surf boats have really low sides and adding ballast will make the boat have even lower sides. I would recommend you re-evaluate the boat you plan to use as it is easier to ski behind a surf boat than surf behind a ski boat.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Sandm, great simile. Those time our or max. We figured those time off of how long it takes someone to get ready to ski or board. We hope to get our time to look more like 3 for fill and 5 for drain.
    Zabooda, I can go into a little more detail of what we are after.
    Slalom: I want someone who skis through the course at 36mph at 28 off on a modern slalom boat to be able to ski through the course with our boat at 36mph at 15 off.
    Wake: Honestly for wake I'm not really sure how to quantify it. Maybe someone else has a way to measure it?
    Surf: Surf is probably our lowest priority. We thought of using a bigger boat but that would make the slalom goal unattainable. If we can get adults that have never surfed before able to toss the rope then we will be happy with the surf wake.
    If our budget was not as small as it is we probably would have started with an outback v.
    I'll start posting pictures and plans once parts come in.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Echo Skis

Ryan, I had a Supra Sunsport Direct drive, and I got it about as dialed as I could for slalom/wake/surf.

First off, your fill/empty times are going to be directly affected by your choice of bag size. Let's see some pics of your boat so we can get an idea of what you're working with. As you well know the choices for where to put ballast are VERY limited on a DD. typically you're looking at under the rear seat, and since it sounds like you might have a closed bow, you can likely put bow weight in, although I never used bow weight in my sunsport. Again, with a lower freeboard DD, you aren't going to want a ton of bow weight anyway or you'll be taking water over the bow all day long.

Also the GIII pumps and sprinkler valves you're getting aren't what anyone would call fast. the drain pumps are 800GPH and the fill pump is supposedly 2000 but more likely will perform at 1200 at best. The sprinkler valves are a notorious bottleneck. But I guess if you're looking at small bags, then MAYBE you could accomplish your goals. Again, tell us what size of bags and locations you're thinking about.

I also was one that retrofitted a manual version of a Nautique NSS surf system onto my boat. You're dreaming if you think you can have a "flick of the switch" deployed surf system on any boat for $200. I mean, the price of ONE electric lenco trim tab actuator is $200. However, it is actually possible to come close to your $200 budget and have manual 10 second deployment of NSS style surf blades and stay close to your $200 budget for a surf system, assuming you have a flat rear hull like I did on the sunsport.

Here is all the info you'd ever want on my DIY surf system:
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ht=surf+system

Keep in mind that to get a decent surf wave on my sunsport that has a lot more freeboard, that I had 350 under the rear seat, and 750's on either side of the doghouse.
    Last edited by trayson; 03-31-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I basically did the same build with my DD as well. But the price of my boat alone blew your budget out of the water (pardon the pun).
    To Surf the quickest ballast fill time is going to be load it with peeps. If talking bags I ended up doing the under seat surf sack as well as a side sack along the doghouse on surf side. I plumbed in two manual valves to be able to use the same pump to fill both at the same time or isolate. To empty I used a pump for the rear sack and portable Tsunami pump for the side sack. Here's my thread but pics are missing:
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....-Man-s-Ballast

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

FYI Miscellaneous needs to be a lot higher
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Warning long post ahead: summary, 1350 lbs ballast, NSS with diy waterproofed actuators.

Right now we have a 900 pound sac to replace the rear seat and a 450 pound sac to go under the closed bow sideways right in front of the drivers/spotters seat. Trying to keep it as far back as possible. If we need more weight we can add some along side the engine but I want to try and keep the weight to a minimum because of it being a smaller boat. We are getting essentially two of the factory GIII systems. We got them for an amazing deal from 996scott and Newty (Thanks again). Trying to work with what we have is going to make our setup a little odd. I won't know for sure until the parts arrive but we will probably be running two fill pumps per bag and two drain pumps per bag. Once we get the parts I'll draw up a diagram for our plan. Before I do though I have a question about sprinkler valves. I know that they are very restrictive so I am going to try and avoid them in high flow areas but how reliable are they at stopping water from going through them?

Trayson,
    I'm glad you found this thread. I have a couple of your projects bookmarked and I'm sure I'll have some questions for you. One that I have right now is, how much did your surf tab affect low speed steering?
    As far as an automated surf system for around $200 we are going to be taking a bit of a gamble. The plan is to do a NSS style setup much like yours but instead of using lenco actuators we are going to use some cheap actuators and waterproofing them ourselves the same way diy submarine people do it. Here is a link showing that
    http://www.submarineboat.com/waterproofing.htm
    This might work or it will be a total failure. But if it fails we can rip off the actuators and still have a manual setup like your Supra's.

Viking,
    Were you able to surf with the ballast setup in your thread?

little update;
    Let me start by saying that the ballast system is going to be funky and is not my ideal configuration. This is because it is being pieced together with what I can find on the cheap. With that said here is my plan so far and my plan will most likely change a bit.

I'm starting with a 450 lbs bag in the bow and a 900 lbs bag where the rear seat normally is. If the boat can handle more weight I can plump more ballast into the system. The bags are both straight line sumo sacs. I choose these because of the threaded inlets and outlets but also because they have 5 ports per bag. This is important because I am hoping to run 4 pumps per bag, 2 drain, 2 fill. I will have to modify the quick connect port to permanently accept my vent line.

For the fill it will be pretty simple, two pumps coming off a manifold each with their own fill line and bag inlet. each line will need a check valve or vented loop. So, here is my first question, for a vented loop to work does it need to be higher than the bag?

The drain and vent lines are a bit confusing.
    -While filling the sprinkler valve on the vent line will be open.
    -While draining
    -The vent line sprinkler valve will close.
    -The secondary drain line with a sprinkler valve will be open
    -To get the last bit of water out of a bag the secondary line will close and only the primary will pump.

I'm looking for feedback so take a look at the attached diagram and start telling me why it won't work.
    Once I get a little closer to installing the system I'm sure I will need some guidance on details like pump orientation.

budgetballast.jpg

Trayson,
    I'm glad you found this thread. I have really enjoyed the mods you did on your Supra. For the surf system I plan on doing a NSS one like yours. For the actuators I'm taking a big gamble and waterproofing some standard linear actuators myself. I am going to try it on one side and if it works, great, if not then I will have a nice manual set-up like yours. While your NSS was deployed how much did it affect your steering at low speeds?

Viking,
    Are you able to surf with the ballast setup you mention in your thread?

Snyderaaron,
    Yeah... $600 is pretty wishful thinking. If we need more it will have to come from the $800 set aside for the tower. The boat came with an extended pylon that we can use for boarding.

As requested her is a picture of the boat.
    skitastic.jpg