Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

No need to pass on the LED option. Wet Sounds offer cast poured RGB LED rings for all their tower speakers. With the swivel clamps, even the LED leads are hidden in the collar, so no exposed wires or external connectors to modify.

If I redid mine, I would no doubt add the LED rings. I regret not doing it.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    No need to pass on the LED option. Wet Sounds offer cast poured RGB LED rings for all their tower speakers. With the swivel clamps, even the LED leads are hidden in the collar, so no exposed wires or external connectors to modify.
    I was saying that if he went with the Exile Surf package 1, that he'd probably have to pass on LED's. It sounds like he wants:
    • an 8" surf speaker
    • detachable
    • quality amp to power them at 4 ohms with the ability to add a 2nd pair at 2ohms
    • possibility of adding LED's
    • At $2k or less including install in Canadian dollars.

Obviously, the Exile surf package 1 gets him everything but the LED's. That's what I was saying. I know he'd be just as happy with a pair of Icon 8's with the appropriate 2 channel amp. However, I don't know enough about their pricing and if once you add the accessories if LED's would still be in his budget. And he said he doesn't know of a local WS dealer, so there's that.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I was saying that if he went with the Exile Surf package 1, that he'd probably have to pass on LED's. It sounds like he wants:
    • an 8" surf speaker: Wet Sounds Icon-8
    • detachable: Icon-8 with TC3-S
    • quality amp to power them at 4 ohms with the ability to add a 2nd pair at 2ohms: Syn-2
    • possibility of adding LED's: 8" RGB LED rings and 6 pin connector kit. Also RGB controller if you want more colors
    • At $2k or less including install in Canadian dollars.

Obviously, the Exile surf package 1 gets him everything but the LED's. That's what I was saying. I know he'd be just as happy with a pair of Icon 8's with the appropriate 2 channel amp. However, I don't know enough about their pricing and if once you add the accessories if LED's would still be in his budget. And he said he doesn't know of a local WS dealer, so there's that.
    The Icon-8 w/TC3-S and Syn-2 package gets him the LEDs with not exposed wires and still be able to retail the full function of the swivel clamps. If you add a male/female connector and external leads for LEDs to the exile pods, you loose the swivel function without leaving a long dangly lead.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    The Icon-8 w/TC3-S and Syn-2 package gets him the LEDs with not exposed wires and still be able to retail the full function of the swivel clamps. If you add a male/female connector and external leads for LEDs to the exile pods, you loose the swivel function without leaving a long dangly lead.
    Yep, that's definitely true. My bolded comment above was that I don't know if that would be able to happen for his budget. Maybe it's within the realm of $2k CAD, maybe it's not. I have no clue honestly.

Obviously, the Icon "package" that you mentioned is the full meal deal and hits all his wants--I just don't know enough about the pricing of all the items on the menu to know if he can afford it.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Just priced out the Icon 8's (swivel + LED) with the Syn 2 amp and based on the pricing on their site they would be $1680US. The SXT9Q (no LED) w/ the XM30.2 comes in at $1305.

What would make the Wetsounds package worth ~$400 more?
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

If you back out the LEDs, its a $210 difference.

Lets start with the amp. The Syn-2 has a detailed input circuit, allowing for summed mono. This equates to a more expensive amp board. This is great for a surf setup as it allows for getting all the program material from both speakers.

Speakers: the Wet Sounds TC3-S uses a retaining fork to support the pod and carry the load, with absolutely zero force put on the speaker or LED terminals. Once the pod it mated with the collar, the terminals do not move against each other. No wear, no flexing, no tiny spring tab to wear a witness mark on a headphone post. The pod is coated with an automotive grade finish with plenty of UV inhibitors. The mid-bass driver, cross-over and tweeter is designed and tuned for a tower pod application.

Hmmmm ok so very close then. Crutchfields has the Icon8 swivel (no LED) for $899 and Amazon has the Syn 2 for $509. So all in $1410 for WS vs. $1305 for EX.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackcup View Post
    Just priced out the Icon 8's (swivel + LED) with the Syn 2 amp and based on the pricing on their site they would be $1680US. The SXT9Q (no LED) w/ the XM30.2 comes in at $1305.

What would make the Wetsounds package worth ~$400 more?
    I'm not getting how you arrive at the price.
    First, the Exile price is $1450, which is then $1305 in a bundled package. The Wetsounds price shows no bundled discount price, however, you can get that exact same discount on a Wetsounds bundled package.
    For the moment, drop the Wetsounds LED option since the Exile has no such option.
    The Wetsounds Icon8 with a swivel clamp would be $900 plus a Wetsounds HT4 amplifier, with the same 300 X 2 as the Exile, would be $450. The two together are $1350 less a bundled discount of the same percentage would bring you to $1215 for the Wetsounds package.
    So...the Exile package @ $1305...the Wetsounds package @ $1215. Upgrade the Wetsounds to the Syn2 if you ever want to add a second pair of tower speakers and the total discounted price becomes $1305 for either package.
    Both are 8-inch surf speakers with 1" metal dome tweeters. In this case both have the swivel collars. Let's not enter into the Ford versus Chevy debate and say the sound quality is a toss up since the size and make up are essentially the same.
    From there I see two differences.
    1) The Wetsounds has a provision to add LEDS within the swivel collar. The Exile does not.
    2) The Exile collar swivel/disconnect system has been known to have some issues. It's chronicled right here on this forum by Exile end users and owners. Maybe it's only a very small percentage. Exile will certainly take care of you if you have any kind of a problem. However, to me, that is secondary to the desire to avoid any and all problems period....ever, if possible. The Wetsounds swivel/disconnect system is absolutely problem free. This is one of those areas where I believe the Wetsounds has better build quality. Some contend that differences are too minor and 99% will never know the difference. That's the call. Not bashing product here. This particular difference is not subjective when it's fact. And you specifically asked what makes a Wetsounds cost more. It just so happens it doesn't cost more in this case. It's a misconception that the Wetsounds is more expensive with the same bundled discounts.

Great thanks ... I hadn't seen or heard of a bundled discount with WS so yes you are right they are the exact same price. I was going off of the individual prices of the speaker and then the amp.

So the Syn 2 will allow me to add 2 more towers down the road? And I have the option for LED's at a later date? And I'm assuming I could add the EQ as well?
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub