Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Rockford M282-Wake Tower Speakers?

Hey guys ... Unfortunately, I don't have it in my budget to go all out and get some of the big boy brands ... but I was in my local shop today and the guys had some good things to say about these. I will be getting two pairs of towers. They were going to match them up with a Rockford R300x4 Amp.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...ils/m282b-wake

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r300x4

What are your thoughts/experience with these? And would that amp match up pretty well with these towers? My audio experience is pretty limited

I currently have 2 amps in the boat now ... a mono block that is powering a 10" sub and the stock amp is powering the 2 factory tower speakers. My plan was to switch the factory amp from the 2 existing towers to the cabins. I would keep the Mono to power the sub. And then have the new RF amp power the 4 towers. Would there be any issues with having these 3 amps running simultaneously? I have the dual battery system from the factory.

Thanks!!
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

I have purchased the same speakers. You are not going to be happy with that amp. I have a kenwood 325watt 2 channel amp powering these now and they are way under powered. These speakers are rated for 100 watt rms. The amp you have spec'd is only pushing half that. I contacted Rockford Fausgate last night. they recommended the M600-4D amp If you want 100 watt rms for all 4 speakers. it is a little bitey though.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575M600....html?tp=61752

hope this helps.

I am looking for a 4 channel amp that will power 2 6" kicker tower speakers and the 2 8" RF M282 speakers. I also do not want to break the bank.
    Last edited by Gca32; 03-31-2015 at 08:39 AM.

For some reason my first reply is not showing up so this may be a repeat.

I do not think you will be happy with that amp. These speakers are rated at 100 watt RMS each. That amp is only going to be pushing half that. I bought the same speakers and have a kenwood 325 watt 2 channel amp pushing them and they are way under powered. I spoke with Rockford Fausgate and they recommended their M600-4D amp, it is a little pricey though.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575M600....html?tp=61752

I am looking for an amp similar to this to power 2 8" M282 tower speakers and 2 6" kicker tower speakers. just don;t have another $500 to throw at it since I just purchased the RF speakers.

The RF tower speaker is using an infinite baffle type driver. Infinite baffle means that it's intended to go in an expansive baffle like a gunnel cavity, door or trunk. So once placed into a very small pod and rigid air mass that really limits the bass response. Kind of like tightening a guitar string and hearing the resonance go higher. This is not uncommon among most tower speakers. You won't get the same big sound from that speaker like you would if it was flush-mounted in the boat. On the flipside, as an 8-inch it is a lot of surface area, and that is just the kind of acoustic leverage you need for tower speakers. As long as your expectations are realistic about the midbass response, you should be happy.
    However, with certainty, that amplifier is not what those speakers deserve. 50 watts to each tower speaker is very lite when you consider the challenge of how they're used. You need to find a way to double that power.
    It may be a budget buster today, but there is actually savings in doing it right the first time.

I would suggest the P500.2 to drive them. Makes wiring a lot easier too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcup View Post
    Hey guys ... Unfortunately, I don't have it in my budget to go all out and get some of the big boy brands ... but I was in my local shop today and the guys had some good things to say about these. I will be getting two pairs of towers. They were going to match them up with a Rockford R300x4 Amp.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...ils/m282b-wake

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r300x4

What are your thoughts/experience with these? And would that amp match up pretty well with these towers? My audio experience is pretty limited

I currently have 2 amps in the boat now ... a mono block that is powering a 10" sub and the stock amp is powering the 2 factory tower speakers. My plan was to switch the factory amp from the 2 existing towers to the cabins. I would keep the Mono to power the sub. And then have the new RF amp power the 4 towers. Would there be any issues with having these 3 amps running simultaneously? I have the dual battery system from the factory.

Thanks!!
    What are your goals for your system? Do you just want "surf speakers" or chillin out on the water speakers? Or do you have the desire to have music at wakeboard/ski speeds and distance?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Hey guys thanks for the info. I knew I would get a straight answer here.

We only had the wakeboard out once last year .. so just surfing and floating would be the primary use of our system.

These 282's are $600 a pair. That's $1200 just for the speakers ... add an amp ... install and I'm just shy of 2K. That sounds pretty pricey to me but I guess all you Exile/Wetsounds guys are dropping quite a bit more??
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Are you dying to have 4 speakers (2 pair) on the tower?

At a 2k price tag, it's tough to deny what you get in a well powered pair of Rev 10's.

Power perspective put to numbers ..... Their recommendation was 50w per speaker for a total of 200 watts on the tower. David recommended doubling the power to 400 total watts across 4 speakers if you stayed with the M282. A properly powered pair of Rev 10s could be 350-400 watts PER SPEAKER ... That's double the power, an obvious audible difference.

The 8" HLCDs (XM9 and Rev would be slightly less power but still the same idea ... substantially more authority from the tower. Spending 2k, you should be wow'ed by the tower, imo.

If you aren't concerned with wake distance at all, you could look into the WS Icon series or Exile SXTs. They could be had a lower price than their HLCD counterparts.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Wow ... so essentially quadrupling the output compared to what the local shop recommended. That's insane.

I was just stuck on the "look" of the 4 towers. I have the basic 2 factory cans and it's always bothered me ... mind you they are just the 6".

I haven't heard a set of HLCDs but I am definitely leaning more towards a better sound in and around the boat than being able to project it 50-100' out.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

There's a BIG difference between 6.5" and 10"!! I mean that's like Drew vs Berg.... (I'm not telling )
    Last edited by bergermaister; 04-01-2015 at 01:38 AM.