Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stereo system noise from using phone/dock/charger

So, I've been getting some noise when using my phone for an audio source.

I have a car dock for my phone that has a micro-usb that slides into the phone for audio and charging. The dock has a micro usb plug on the back as well as a 3.5mm outlet.

I have a 3.5mm cable (just a cheap one I had laying around) that goes from the car dock to the aux input of the WS420SQ.

I also have a car charger going into the car dock's micro usb.

I would get noise on my system (like the same kind of sound speakers make when they are getting GSM interference). So I tried unplugging the 3.5mm cable from the car dock and plugged it directly into the headphone jack of the phone. That seemed to help on last weekend's trip.

Yesterday I was getting noise in my system again and the "solution" was to unplug the car charger (which was plugged into one of the boat's 12v cig lighter style sockets).

I've heard that there's some "ground loop" stuff going on. I'm curious what's going to be the best way to address this.

I'd like to still use the car dock if possible, because it's nice to have something holding my phone as I'm driving and to still have the ability to change songs and stuff (rather than keep it inaccessible in the glovebox).

I am not opposed to hard wiring the car charger into the boat's electrical system (although I'm open to hearing the best place to tap the power for that).

I'm certainly willing to buy a different 3.5mm cable to connect my dock or phone to the WS420SQ.

Thanks for the insight.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Yesterday I was getting noise in my system again and the "solution" was to unplug the car charger (which was plugged into one of the boat's 12v cig lighter style sockets).
    If the source thats power the dock and phone is different then that of the reset of the audio gear, its an invitation for noise.

2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    If the source thats power the dock and phone is different then that of the reset of the audio gear, its an invitation for noise.
    I'm thinking it might be a good idea to hardwire the car charger and tie it into the same power as the rest of the audio gear...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
    I found one of those that's a ground loop isolator and a line driver in one. might give that a shot to also help with the output level of the phone vs. the rest of my system...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

GLI's are often times a bandaid that covers a fixable problem. The term "Ground Loop" is almost an oxymoron. Its difference in voltage potential that shows its ugly head on the ground side of the audio signal path and not really a ground problem.

I would also be cautious of a line driver on a head-phone AUX circuit. Doesnt take much voltage to induce noise.

Some guy on Wakeworld is experiencing the identical problem. You guys should get together and share your findings.

yeah, especially since some know-it-all over there told him what to do

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Some guy on Wakeworld is experiencing the identical problem. You guys should get together and share your findings.
    Yeah I think that guy is stalking me. But he sure has a bad ass boat.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Yeah I think that guy is stalking me. But he sure has a bad ass boat.
    Well, at least there's some mutual admiration.