Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adjusting Wakeplate affects Tower Speakers

I have an 06 Mobius LSV with 4 speaker light bar combo. When the sterio is on and I adjust the wake plate, it causes a popping noise from the tower speakers. Only seems to affect the tower speakers and not the others. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said they had a boat last year that did the same thing and he told that boat owner to set the wake plate where they wanted and leave it alone. I find that unaccetable as wakeplate adjustment is often necessary. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what you may have done to fix it. To me, it sounds like a ground issue but I'm not sure where to start looking.

Default Replying to Topic 'Adjusting Wakeplate affects Tower Speaker

That is totally unacceptable. You adjust the wakeplate all day, all the way down when getting out of the hole, and then for the riders preference. I would report the dealer to SC for being stupid. I am amazed that you spend 35-45K on an item and they give you that type of solution......

Sounds like a power or grounding issue. So when you unplug the stereo from the power amp (just drive the onboard speakers with the stereo) you do not have any popping?

Pete

I would give Brian Raymond a call at SC and see what he thinks. Obviously this is the second call this dealer has received about this so there are most likely others and Brian has probably already addressed this.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I haven't tried disconnecting the amp. Just by listening it sounds like its only coming from the tower speakers and not the onboard ones. I'll give SC a call but I just wanted to see if any of you guys had experienced similar problems.

Sounds like a grounding issue!

The response from you dealer is ridiculous,, Stay on them till they resolve to proplem.

Good luck, E

This is a common issue on Skiers Choice boats. I've heard that a lot of dealers are telling people that it is normal. At least one person has reported that their dealer knew of a fix. Still waiting to see if he gets the info out as to what that fix is. Same problem on my Supra.

I tried to call Brian today and got no answer but I left him a message. If he doesn't return my call, I'll give it another try tomorrow. Good to hear that I'm not the only one, but sorry you guys are suffering as well. I'll keep you posted on what I find out. thanks

Last fall I asked the same question. I had a loud popping sound coming out of only the tower speakers when I would use the wakeplate. Someone told me to check all of the connections under the dash in the control panel. Sure enough a found a nut that was almost ready to fall off, and that was the end of that problem.

Hope that helps.

Ensure you have a filtering coil on the positive lead to filter any transients from the wake plate motor. The filter looks like a 3/4" square or round blob on the positive lead. Another method is to go directly to the battery from the amp. You can get a filter coil at Radio Shack and they're cheap. The transients can mess up an amp over time (excessive heating) so a fix is important besides the annoyance to your listeners.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

my amp came from sc with no heavy duty wire or fuses, I installed a quality amp kit and from what I can tell the pop is gone.