Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amp Digital Voltage Gauge

Been searching for posts/threads for those that installed voltage gauges to monitor voltage at the amps. I can't locate them so thought I'd take the easy route!

Can you post pics of your setup and chime in whether it helps you any, worth the cost/effort to have them on your amp board, how much wattage draw, ect....

Thanks!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I like the idea and have done it many times.
    Keep the gauge shaded from direct sunlight but yet easy to view.
    Isolated by the existing battery switch, the gauge will not be a parasitic drain while in storage.
    It has the advantage of giving you a more accurate reading than a dash gauge and a reading that can be isolated from the starting battery.
    Allows you to monitor your battery voltage so that you know when you have reached your lowest limit of 11.8 volts.

If you have a helm mounted analog gauge, it can be rewired with a toggle switch to show the voltage of both batteries. Just another idea.

I bought 2 of these in Blue

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=131095052802

IanAshton sent me the link. I got the idea from his install. This is his setup...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Thanks all.......exactly what I was looking for. Mainly want it for my system bank but probably do it for starting bank too. Was planning to mount in cubby but like the idea of mounting it somewhere at helm. Gonna keep running one stereo batt this summer and see how it goes before possibly changing it up to 2-6v's.

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Last summer I installed the gauges onto my Supra. One to each battery. since I had the perko switch, it kept them isolated. I just flush mounted them into the seatbase that was below my observer seat where my amps and my batteries lived. on my XLV I'll probably choose a different location. not sure yet. It's lower on the priority list.

Here's a pic. I'd also mounted two 12v fans to cool the compartment. One was mounted as a pusher and the other as a puller, so you're seeing that in the pic too.

I used the cheap ebay 12v digital volt gauges which is I'm sure the same stuff others have used. I thought about putting them on a switch, but honestly, their draw is about the same as a stereo head unit when turned off, so I didn't even bother and kept them hooked up hot.

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

why not connect them to the remote turn on with relay so they come on when the amps/stereo kick on via helm switch?

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    why not connect them to the remote turn on with relay so they come on when the amps/stereo kick on via helm switch?
    Maybe it's just me but I'd rather have my reading from it being connected directly to the battery. I'm sure it's all the same, but the 12v from the remote turn on lead is being supplied by the head unit, right?

I suppose if you wanted to get tricky, you could by all means wire the battery gauge to the battery and buy a $5 relay to have it trigger with the remote turn on lead...

Or if you're talking about simply wiring them to the + and - of the stereo switch on the helm, I guess that would give you info only when the stereo's going. And only on the battery that was delivering power at the time...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I suppose if you wanted to get tricky, you could by all means wire the battery gauge to the battery and buy a $5 relay to have it trigger with the remote turn on lead...
    That's what I was thinking!

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Default Amp Digital Voltage Gauge

I went with the Stinger volt meter. It has a three wire input instead of just two. Positive, negative, and turn on. The blue one is part# SVMB, and the red one is part# SVMR. I hooked the leads directly to the battery cables and turn on lead at one of the amps.

Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon