Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Which Boat Manufacturer First Made Wakeboard Boats?

Wife asked me this yesterday. She thought it may have been Moomba.

I have no idea. I was thinking MasterCraft

Good question, i think it was MC too, i remember a green direct drive Xstar
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I would think it was the first v drive boat in the mid 90's that really got it started cuz skurfing, now wakeboarding. Got popular in the mid 80's
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Definitely not Moomba. I'd say MC or Nautique. The first V drive I know if is the Nautique Super Sport which became the first Super Air Hull in the early 90's. Nautique also owns the patents for the first tower. I'd say that gives the edge to Nautique.

What are you using do define the first wakeboard boat? In the beginning most were just ski boats they added towers to. The early boats didn't come with perfect pass or ballast or anything else we expect today. The direct drive Xstar referenced was simply a renamed 205i ski boat hull, also around since the early 90's. First V drive Xstar was that same hull(running surface) set up as a Vdrive instead of a DD.
    1998 MC Maristar 225VRS(for sale)
    2014 Tige RZR-sold
    2013 Tige RZR-sold

lets define "wakeboard boat" as one that is non-direct drive and one with internal ballast on both sides of the rear hull.

And how popular did skurfing really become? I'd say not much - at least not in Florida. I have never seen anyone do it, talk about it or promote it.
    Last edited by slipperyrockTKE300; 03-15-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyrockTKE300 View Post
    lets define "wakeboard boat" as one that is non-direct drive and one with internal ballast on both sides of the rear hull.

And how popular did skurfing really become? I'd say not much - at least not in Florida. I have never seen anyone do it, talk about it or promote it.
    Id say first wake boat was one with a factory tower. If you look back through the evolution of tow boats, you will find that V-drives and ballast existed before manufactures took a long hard look at hull design for a wake-board wake, but wake-boarding was well underway. Going from DD to V, was more about appealing to bow rider/run-about family crowd. Hard core DD ski boats where not as friendly to those spending a long day on the water. But, their drive configuration had less impact on wake, then the hull design.

This is kind of a loaded question. It really comes into what you call the first wakeboard boat. People have been wakeboarding behind all types of boats and their marketing departing departments have been using wakeboard boat for just as much time. Shoot Bayliner's say they are a wakeboarding boats. If you go with a wakeboarding boat has a tower then Nautique was the first to patent the wakeboard tower back in 1997(?). If you want to go with the first V-drive towboat I think it was the Cenrution Falcon back in 1986.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

really? Bayliner claims to be a wakeboarding boat??

That's a hoot!

Centurion had some pretty early V-drives with good wake capability. I'd say they were one of the first.

PWI as usual...

Centurion Wave 1995.
    -Jake