Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I have poly fill in my 15 box, also use it in my Vette subs. Makes it sound a ton better.

For my Vette the boxes are part of the car so they are metal. Poly fill makes them sound warm and more natural then nothing.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Polyester fiberfill (pillow stuffing) is effective if you have an under-sized enclosure....within limits. It can only address the displacement to a degree but 10% is within that range. It converts acoustic energy to low level thermal energy which gets dissipated thereby simulating a larger enclosure.
    You know when you have gone too far with too much fill material when the bass gets a little 'flat' or 'dead' sounding, similar to having too large of an enclosure. An enclosure that is too small typically sounds peaky in favor of the midbass. So too small is very 'live' but also becomes a little singular in its tone. These descriptions are probably a better guideline then just trying to judge the difference in low bass extension.

Thanks for the info guys.

The interior volume of the box has 0.60 cuft for each sub.

Each of the subs are spec'd for 0.75 cuft. sealed. so it sounds like the fiberfill should help.

I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 1 to 2 pounds total filling.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Polyester fiberfill (pillow stuffing) is effective if you have an under-sized enclosure....within limits. It can only address the displacement to a degree but 10% is within that range. It converts acoustic energy to low level thermal energy which gets dissipated thereby simulating a larger enclosure.
    You know when you have gone too far with too much fill material when the bass gets a little 'flat' or 'dead' sounding, similar to having too large of an enclosure. An enclosure that is too small typically sounds peaky in favor of the midbass. So too small is very 'live' but also becomes a little singular in its tone. These descriptions are probably a better guideline then just trying to judge the difference in low bass extension.
    I agree with you, in the Vette factory was a 6inch and I have 8s now. With no batting material it had a weird matalic echo almost. With the batting its a much deeper natural sounding bass.

For the 15 I didn't add to much, just enough to cover the insides of the box. I felt it made it sound warmer as well.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

The interior volume of the box has 0.60 cuft for each sub.

Each of the subs are spec'd for 0.75 cuft. sealed. so it sounds like the fiberfill should help.

I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 1 to 2 pounds total filling.
    Wouldn't have a clue as to the weight. So you are way ahead of me. But I would use the loose material rather than the batting for this particular application since you are not just lining the walls. Start by tearing it apart and loosely filling the entire enclosure. I don't have a cover story for you when your wife asks why the couch pillows suddenly seam flat.

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I agree with you, in the Vette factory was a 6inch and I have 8s now. With no batting material it had a weird matalic echo almost. With the batting its a much deeper natural sounding bass.

For the 15 I didn't add to much, just enough to cover the insides of the box. I felt it made it sound warmer as well.
    That's not surprising since we agree on virtually everything. I feel like we are brothers of different mothers.
    Last edited by David Analog; 03-18-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Default Trayson's adventures in stereo upgrades

Wouldn't have a clue as to the weight. So you are way ahead of me. But I would use the loose material rather than the batting for this particular application since you are not just lining the walls. Start by tearing it apart and loosely filling the entire enclosure. I don't have a cover story for you when your wife asks why the couch pillows suddenly seam flat.
    Lol, good one!

PWI as usual...

You guys are awesome and amusing.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post

Thats why I use poly in a lot of tower pods, especially aluminum ones. Even a full range will sound tinny without some fill

Great idea. My wife likes to take her pillow with her when we camp. Now it can come with us when we boat too

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet