Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I think i found out why they don't fit and he is giving a discount. They are actually their 7.7 cans, marketed as fitting some 8" speakers. Is he giving $25 off? That is the price difference between the two cans. The KM8s may slightly smaller than 8", but they are definitely larger than 7.7". You will need to drill holes as well they are to far inboard for the KM8 location.

MLA a skil saw is a good idea, but how do hold them while cutting? I started to do this, but it was a bear to cut and hug the can at the same time. I thought about making a jig out wood(shape of an L) to bolt the can to, but figured i would have more time in that then breaking out the dremel.
    2015 Mondo
    2008 21V sold
    2007 outback sold
    2013 Ram Megacab Cummins-Tow rig

Although the 7.7 and KM8 are both in an 8" speaker class, the KM8 is slightly larger. The 7.7 need a 6-1/4" cutout and the KM8 needs a 6-11/16" cutout.

With the pod wrapped up to protect the finish, I just held them upright and made the cut. My arm was dead after doing 4 in a row thought.

Gotcha, i wasn't getting as smooth a line as i wanted with that method, i think i was pushing the jigsaw too hard. Mine are a tight fit now in the housing, any issues with the cage being tight to the cutout? Reason i ask is the hole was definitely bigger than 6 1/4" so the 7.7" would be loose. Kind of burns me these are the same cans that are $25 cheaper on the same website.
    2015 Mondo
    2008 21V sold
    2007 outback sold

snug fit should be fine as long as it did not require the speaker to be forced in.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Sorry you had to find out after the coating. All the aluminum pods we've loaded with the KM8, we have had to open up. I have found that a skill saw with a metal cutting blade works fast an easy. Just tape the pop off real well and I even mask the bottom of the skill saw base just to reduce any marring.
    Are you meaning a jig saw or a scroll saw? I am trying to picture how you'd use a skill saw as I'm familiar with to cut the holes bigger...

This is what I visualize when I hear "skill saw", and I am curious if that's what you really meant...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Sorry you had to find out after the coating. All the aluminum pods we've loaded with the KM8, we have had to open up. I have found that a skill saw with a metal cutting blade works fast an easy. Just tape the pop off real well and I even mask the bottom of the skill saw base just to reduce any marring.
    Ha it's just a bummer, the guy doing the install is going to use a grinder. Hopefully it doesn't jack up the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by mark540 View Post
    I think i found out why they don't fit and he is giving a discount. They are actually their 7.7 cans, marketed as fitting some 8" speakers. Is he giving $25 off? That is the price difference between the two cans. The KM8s may slightly smaller than 8", but they are definitely larger than 7.7". You will need to drill holes as well they are to far inboard for the KM8 location.

MLA a skil saw is a good idea, but how do hold them while cutting? I started to do this, but it was a bear to cut and hug the can at the same time. I thought about making a jig out wood(shape of an L) to bolt the can to, but figured i would have more time in that then breaking out the dremel.
    Originally I emailed him and said "hey the box says 7.7 not 8....are you sure these are for the MM8s?" He said "yeah, stick them in there they will fit!" I told him I was trusting him since I didn't have the speakers yet and I needed to send them off to powder coat.
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Are you meaning a jig saw or a scroll saw? I am trying to picture how you'd use a skill saw as I'm familiar with to cut the holes bigger...

This is what I visualize when I hear "skill saw", and I am curious if that's what you really meant...
    Nah, much bigger

Nah, much bigger
    So like this?

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So like this?

That would work, you can hold the can with 2 hands, I think you would have to deburr a little when your done though....
    2015 Mondo
    2008 21V sold
    2007 outback sold

Default 2015 Mondo Stereo Build

So with the curve of my tower I'm stuck with "not level" speakers. Hopefully it doesn't look to bad in person. Stereo guy sent this to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers