Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine compartment Key

so is the key for the engine compartment the same for all of our boats or is it different from boat to boat?

Any insight on getting a replacement key?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    so is the key for the engine compartment the same for all of our boats or is it different from boat to boat?

Any insight on getting a replacement key?
    I have to assume its different, but like any type of key like these, they are going to be limited to a certain amount of numbers. Are you actually thinking that it will stop someone from getting in your engine compartment?

I refuse to lock mine, more damage will happen by trying to keep someone out then just leaving it unlocked.

To break in all you do is grab the center of the engine door and pull up. Doesn't take much force but it breaks the interior panel and that's pricey to replace. So I leave mine unlocked.

Nothing in the engine bay is worth what I have in my stereo, and there is NO lock on the observers door.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Brain_Rinse has done a mod where they put pins through the aluminum frame and mounted a Bimini strap loop on the bottom edge of the doors to the lockers.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....6108#post76108

Yes, you're right, they aren't going to keep anyone out that's determined to get in. It would only be there to deter someone that might give a quick tug on the rear lockers to see if they're unlocked and easy pickings...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

You asked about the Engine Bay.

Not the rear Lockers.

The locks on the Rear Lockers I think is a good Idea.

But just the same with the engine bay, You have to be on top of the swim deck or in the boat to open this door. At that point locking it, locking V drive doors is a mute point.

Now if you want to switch gears and talk about locking V drive doors using a sliding lock mechanism then YES i think its a good idea. Not only does it keep them closed going down the road. <never had one open> It does stop the normal jack wadd from walking by and opening a V drive door and look for an easy theft.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    You asked about the Engine Bay.

Not the rear Lockers.

The locks on the Rear Lockers I think is a good Idea.

But just the same with the engine bay, You have to be on top of the swim deck or in the boat to open this door. At that point locking it, locking V drive doors is a mute point.

Now if you want to switch gears and talk about locking V drive doors using a sliding lock mechanism then YES i think its a good idea. Not only does it keep them closed going down the road. <never had one open> It does stop the normal jack wadd from walking by and opening a V drive door and look for an easy theft.
    For me to use Brain_Rinse's plan, then locking the engine enables restricted access to the sliding pins that would "lock" the v-drive lockers.

No, I didn't disclose my plan in my first post. but that doesn't invalidate my question: Where to find a key to the engine compartment locker?

I agree, locking the engine compartment is pointless, but since it is a prerequisite for my plan to ultimately lock the rear storage lockers, that's why I'm interested.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Tifton,GA Lake Blackshear, and Lake Cheehaw

Just remove the assembly and take it to a locksmith, they will have you a key in a few minutes and probably a few bucks. I do this all the time more reasonable than you think normally cost about 20-25 bucks.
    2015 Supra SG 450 Fire Red Metallic
    Wetsounds and MMATS
    2015 Mojo
    2014 LSV
    2006 Tahoe Q4sf

Good luck with the locking rear storage. There was a little more detail in this thread but looks like all the pics are gone: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....storage-*pics*
    If I were to do it again I'd try to find a bracket this rather than the bimini loop:

Try your glove box key. I think they are the same.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Try your glove box key. I think they are the same.
    Does anyone know where I can find a spare glove box key?
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Good luck with the locking rear storage. There was a little more detail in this thread but looks like all the pics are gone: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....storage-*pics*
    If I were to do it again I'd try to find a bracket this rather than the bimini loop:
    that would be easy enough to find. Or just buy some aluminum angle stock and drill a few holes...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com