Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default 2000 Moomba Outback Mod Thread

Hey guys! Just wanted to keep a running thread of the modifications I am doing to my 2000 Moomba Outback. Appreciate any input or advice as this will be a long coming project. I am currently deployed but will be back shortly so some of the purchases I will show I haven't even seen or started yet. Come April it will be in full swing and you will see some head way on it!

This first picture is the day I bought the boat. As you can see it had some CRAZY oxidation and a trailer that was on its last leg.

BEFORE:
    Before Exterior.JPG

AFTER WITH NEW TRAILER:
    As you can see I did some work and tried to clean up the Gel Coat. I did a few passes with a buffer and Rubbing Compound. Once I did that I came back through and gave it 2 coats of wax. Still didn't get it to where I wanted it though.
    New Trailer.jpg

After dealing with a hard decision on the route I wanted to take to fix the oxidation on the boat I decided that I would remove all my vinyls, wet sand, rubbing compound and wax/polish the boat. Get her back to her glory days. I started with 600 Grit one time through on the hull, followed by 1800 two times, and the 2600 two times. This process alone took me about 30 hours. It was extremely rough but the results were outstanding and it kept me going. Once I finished that up I went through with a rotary polisher and did the entire hull with Heavy Oxidation remover rubbing compound. Once I finished that up a went through and hand waxed and polished the hull two more times. As you can see this is one heck of a process but the results below speak for them selves.

Removed Decals and Sanding Stern.jpg

Removed Decals and Sanding Bow.jpg

This was a major undertaking. Lessons learned; buy a ton of sand paper. You will gunk the wet sand paper up in a matter of minutes. Get a sanding block, this will allow you to have an even pressure all the way through. spray off the area as soon as your done with it, it will give you immediate feed back on your results which will help you keep going. last but not least, bring a friend. this was absolutely exhausting!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MoombaPat; 03-10-2015 at 08:34 AM.

She looks beautiful. Hours spent was well worth it. Look forward to seeing the updates this spring.
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold

So once I got the exterior squared away, I wanted to start working on the sound system. It was a pretty big mess, and I don't have the money to spend on Exile, or other top end systems out there. So I was working with what I had, and it turned out pretty good.

BEFORE AMPS/BATTERIES
    Attachment 21498

AFTER AMPS/BATTERIES
    Attachment 21499

NEW SUB
    Attachment 21500

I didn't have the chance to really finish this up, and it was a learning process for me since I had very little experience in audio systems. I have done a bit of research since I have been gone and will get back in there and finish it up once I get home. I am going to swap out all the speakers with the 6" Kickers w/ LED lights, Replace the tower speakers with kickers, and install the Exile Equalizer.

Something else that I added, since I was planning to add new cabin lighting and the exile speaker LEDS was a new switch panel to control all the additional lighting I will be installing. These are hooked up to the two distribution panels you see below the amps, so I can route all my future lighting project to them and control it from the switch panel. I just used my Craftsman Multi Tool and cut out a section through the fiberglass, wired it into the batteries, with an on of switch.

Attachment 21501

So as I continued to make my way through the boat I had some old nasty Hydro Turf in the bow walk way. The previous owner did a horrible job on it so I wanted to pull it out.

Before Bow.jpg

After Bow.jpg

Some of the things I have already purchased while I have been gone and will be working on are listed below;

New Manifolds
    News Risers
    New Hardware
    New Gaskets
    It was pricey, but the old ones were shot and totally rusted out. The total was right around 917.00 after shipping and taxes.
    http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.co...-and-parts.htm

New Moomba CHROMAX decals for the sides, now that the boat is all cleaned up and ready for new decals.
    Again, very pricey for these as well but it will look sick. 209.00 per side
    http://www.waterskis.com/110150-p/mo...ecal_large.htm

New Registration Numbers to match the Moomba Chroma
    Not too bad on the price I believe after shipping it was 69.00 for a full set.
    http://shop.domednumbers.com/product...a-registration

I also replaced the fuel pump, and it went out right before I left. Ran me right around 145.00 after shipping and taxes.
    http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080018

I will get pictures of all this mid April once I get back to it, and try and get all these projects done before boating season officially kicks off!

If anyone has any questions on anything I have done or recommendations please let me know! I appreciate any input!

Default 2000 Moomba Outback Mod Thread

Those decals are going to look great. Great job bring her back. She looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_acid View Post
    Those decals are going to look great. Great job bring her back. She looks awesome.
    Thanks man! I appreciate it! Really excited to get back and get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_acid View Post
    Thanks man! I appreciate it! Really excited to get back and get to work.

looking good, keep at it
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

After talking with liquid_acid about the perfect pass system and install I think I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get the Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake Edition S

http://perfectpass.com/?q=systems

Looking at about 1,200.00 for it but it seems like it will really be worth it!