Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moomba XLV prop: Acme 537 (13.5x16) vs. OJ 466 (14.25x14)

So, after a few months, IrishRacing who sold me my 2008 XLV finally shipped me the extra prop that was to be included in the sale.

The current prop is the Acme 537 (13.5x16).

The Spare prop is the OJ 466 (14.25x14).

Can someone give me insight into one vs the other? I'm really happy so far with the 537 so I'm not inclined to make any changes, but I'd like to know how the other prop would perform relative to this one. I'm a NEWB when it comes to props so hopefully someone can give me some insight.

Here's the spare prop:
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I run the 537 (actually the 1161, which is the same prop with slightly different cupping). Run about 1550 ballast plus a full crew no problems and smooth as silk. Still fast enough to ski and cruise too. Love it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I run the 537 (actually the 1161, which is the same prop with slightly different cupping). Run about 1550 ballast plus a full crew no problems and smooth as silk. Still fast enough to ski and cruise too. Love it.
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy thusfar with the 537. I'm guessing that the OJ 466 is what he upgraded from. But I'd still like to educate myself on how the two compare.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If you want to educate yourself start doing some searches. There have been some great prop comparisons done a few years ago on here with charts ballast speeds hole shot rpms these guys took a lot of time swapping props to give non biased opinions and data. Max wot is important under loaded conditions so as to not be over propped your rev limiter will kick in if you are under propped. Trailer clearance is also another issue sometimes overlooked. You'll find that just about everything you want to know or do has already been done and can be found using the search function
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

thought most of that data disappeared with a former member.

having had both acme and oj, keep the acme if you like the performance and save the oj for a spare. too many issues of the growl with oj.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

But you are right the 466 is oem. Load your ballast full with 6-8 people in the boat ortho number you usu run with ,then run the boat wot. If you reach max rpm guidelines you are properly propped. If you don't reach max rpm the you are over propped. If the rev limiter kicks in your under propped but it won't with that prop as it is probably the best speed cruising ecomical and moderate ballast prop. If you start going over 3000lbs of ballast regularly the you need to check rpms max so you don't overload your engine
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    If you want to educate yourself start doing some searches. There have been some great prop comparisons done a few years ago on here with charts ballast speeds hole shot rpms these guys took a lot of time swapping props to give non biased opinions and data. Max wot is important under loaded conditions so as to not be over propped your rev limiter will kick in if you are under propped. Trailer clearance is also another issue sometimes overlooked. You'll find that just about everything you want to know or do has already been done and can be found using the search function
    Sorry man, I really don't have the desire to become a prop expert. I figured that someone might have the knowledge that they were willing to share on an area that I'm weak on. There are so many facets to props: blades, diameters, pitch, etc. I consider myself fairly well educated (CPA/MBA) but I never really got all the facets of props.

Didn't think it'd hurt to see what someone that already knows their stuff would say off the top of their head on A vs B. I've certainly put in my share of sharing knowledge and helping people around here.

I get where you're coming from, but I have been around the internet long enough to know how to STFA.

I hope this place doesn't turn into that other skiers choice forum that I spend a lot less time at now.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

But you are right the 466 is oem. Load your ballast full with 6-8 people in the boat ortho number you usu run with ,then run the boat wot. If you reach max rpm guidelines you are properly propped. If you don't reach max rpm the you are over propped. If the rev limiter kicks in your under propped but it won't with that prop as it is probably the best speed cruising ecomical and moderate ballast prop. If you start going over 3000lbs of ballast regularly the you need to check rpms max so you don't overload your engine
    Thanks man! That's the kind of insight that's helpful. I appreciate it!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

But you are right the 466 is oem.
    And specifically confirming THIS. That was my suspicion all along. But I didn't know what prop came on my boat. It's very common to change props to something that's more tailored to ballasted towing.

I'm honestly happy with my current prop, so I really have no reason to change. It's just nice to have a spare!!! And now to know that it's more of an "OEM" prop tells me a lot more about its character.

Thanks again. That's basically what I was looking for. More of a "character assessment".
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    thought most of that data disappeared with a former member.
    I see what you did there....

No fair having Supra drama follow me to to Moomba!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com