Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gator Grip is great Stripping the old material off was tough but worth the trouble. The Gator Grip cuts easily with a X=Acto blade if you do it with one smooth motion. If you can use one of those sewing cutting board things and a brand new blade , it looks like it was die cut. I traced my platform onto it and then offset the edge using a French Curve.

I have forgotten the story but I think the Gator Grip guy copied the idea so it is available from somebody else as well.

I used an adhesive remover from the local auto body supply store and it was still a chore.

I just replaced the swim platform pad with Hydroturf product. This is Molded Diamond 40" x 62" with the 3M self adhesive (peel and stick) cost right at $100 with shipping and tax. I'm really going to have to take a better picture of the platform!

The easiest way to get the old material off is to peel off the old material. The clear film that is left can be heated with a heat gun, and then peeled off with a plastic putty knife. The residue can be cleaned up with acetone. Acetone will not hurt the Gel coat.

I tried adhesive remover, but it was a slow process, and I had accidently left it on too long, and it lifted some of the gel coat. I had spent over 6 hours on it, and I still had about half of the old adhesive still to remove. I gave myself another days work repairing the gel coat. I was able to remove the remaining adhesive with heat gun, and putty knife in about an hour.

If I were to do it again, I would only use the heat gun and a putty knife.

I was reading about your delemma and I too went through the same issue with staining and my problem was solved as one of the other posts suggested usuing a spray clear laquuer. So far a couple of scratches on the suface from ski fin but working well .I will touch up at end of season. I did ask my dealer and they said tey had never heard of this issue. I talked to a buddy who is a Gecko boat rep and oddly enough he knew of this tough. It would have been nice to at least have some acknoledgement of this.Other than that so far having a blast enjoying skiing again Much nicer when you don't have to play submarine trying to have an underpowered boat trying to pull you out!

I took the advice on this thread and put the Minwax indoor/outdoor lacquer sealer on. It works great, no more black mess. However, unlike the other poster, it IS slippery when it gets wet. Any ideas for introducing a little traction without making it sticky?

Default Black marks from swim platform

I ordered the hydro turf sheet from www.hydroturf.com today. I'll post the results once I finish the install.
    From all of the posts/replies it seams that removing the factory rubber surface and replacing it with Hydro Turf or something similar is the only real fix. Applying a sealant or lacquer is just putting a band-aid and covering up the problem.

To add traction to the existing surface (with lacquer) you could coat it with a decking material (West Marine) that is used on the topsides of sailboats but that would tear up your knees.

My brother has a 2005 Supra Launch and had the same problem. The black stains really bugged him so he told the dealer. The dealer replaced the old pad with the new stuff like my 07 Outback had on it. The new stuff doesn't bleed color. At least not yet. I can't remember if they did it under warranty or if he had to pay. I'll ask him and post back.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMind3002
    My brother has a 2005 Supra Launch and had the same problem. The black stains really bugged him so he told the dealer. The dealer replaced the old pad with the new stuff like my 07 Outback had on it. The new stuff doesn't bleed color. At least not yet. I can't remember if they did it under warranty or if he had to pay. I'll ask him and post back.
    I have the 07' XLV and I am having this same problem...I'm getting tired of being the stain police when people board the boat! I would have to agree about having it in the sun as to the cause, or at least part of the cause. After a while in the water the problem goes away...
    Contrary to popular belief, a boat does not run on "Thank Yous"

Hi Pike,

I would think that your XLV and my outback would have the same pad on the platform. As far as I can tell mine doesn't bleed. I have white interior and my platform is exposed to almost constant sun, even while on the lift it hangs out behind the canopy a bit. I'll ask my dealer about it and see if SC installs more than one type of pad.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

I will be ordering a new Mobius lsv this winter and will definately spent the extra few hundered for a teak swim platform. P.S. if the platform is not covered the uv rays will deteriorate the material hence the transfer to the interior IMO.
    I'd rather be driving my Mustang!

Aero 303 - 05 LSV, no problems