Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Stereos

Default Garage Stereos

So, Newty's thread about sticker bombs got me thinking about garages. I was curious what some of you have done for your garage stereos.

The garage kind of gets the hand-me-down stuff, but I still like to have music while I work in the garage or while washing the cars.

I have an old Kenwood digital receiver (free hand me down from my sister) that powers a pair of vintage JBL 3-way speakers that I replaced the 12" subs with 8 ohm Rockford Fosgate Punch subs.

The speakers are mounted up on the walls and out of the way. Here's a pic from when I was building the setup (before I put shelving next to the speaker).

I had an extra wall mount TV stand, so I used that to mount the receiver up above my garage sink out of the way. I've got a 3.5mm input for either plugging my phone in or I also plug in my tablet and stream internet radio. I connected an external antenna to get good reception on FM radio stations as well.

So the garage had good coverage, but since building the carport for the boat, the sound wasn't getting back to the boat as well (without making it crazy loud in the garage). So I ran some RCA's to a 3.5mm extension cord that goes to a Logitech 4.1 THX certified speaker system. I connected it to the "tape monitor" output of the receiver so I can control the volume of the garage and carport zones independently, but still run one source of music for both zones.

The Logitech system has an 8" subwoofer and 4 satellite speakers.

right now, I have a pair of the satellite speakers mounted at the top of each side of the rear garage door that opens up into the back carport. In the future, I'll mount the other two speakers on the rear carport braces aiming back towards the boat and Jeep. The controller for the Logitech speakers is cool in that it has a fader for the satellites and a sub level control as well as a master volume control. So perfect for that space. I just put the sub on the ground just outside of the rear garage door.

Yeah, I could just use an ipod dock or something, but it's really nice to have a hardwired stereo system for when you're out working on projects.

My system isn't anything that would win the approval of people on the AVS forums, but ALL the components were FREE, so my only cost into the system is the wires...

So, what kind of stuff have you guys done for stereo systems in your garage? post up details and pics if you have them.
    Last edited by trayson; 02-23-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I don't have any pics, but basically same as you, free hand me down stuff. Right now rocking a great KLH system with 5.1 surround sound.....
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    I don't have any pics, but basically same as you, free hand me down stuff. Right now rocking a great KLH system with 5.1 surround sound.....
    Yeah my Freebie receiver is old enough that it's "Pro Logic"!!! But honestly I only ever play it in stereo because I'm listening to music, not a movie soundtrack. All it really needed for me was digital tuning for the radio and a remote control to do presets, volume, and change input sources--so I haven't been able to come up with a reason to upgrade.

I suppose sourround sound in the garage could be fun. Mine has one speaker towards the right side of the garage firing out, and the other speaker is on the left side of the garage firing left. so it covers the garage pretty well. And I can crank it up loud enough to easily have enough tunes for washing the cars out in the driveway.

And somehow my wife doesn't hate me for the music that resonates through the house when I am out in the garage!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

bose soundock with Blue tooth.... the old stuff is boxed up the garage.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Garage= iphone + hidden Logitech 2.1 setup.... ROCKS plenty

Boat area= exile!!!!!

Anywhere else= iphone + jawbone jambox

****I gave up the 5ft tall Cerwin Vega's, 5 disc changer, dual cassettes, turntable and receiver amp back when I sold off the camaro. I kept the mustache though****
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    bose soundock with Blue tooth.... the old stuff is boxed up the garage.
    I wouldn't think something like that would be loud enough for washing the cars out in the driveway...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I use the Bose Soundlink and it is loud enough from the garage but portable to place it anywhere. There isn't the speaker separation that you have with a standard stereo system. I take it everywhere, camping, motels etc.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    I use the Bose Soundlink and it is loud enough from the garage but portable to place it anywhere. There isn't the speaker separation that you have with a standard stereo system. I take it everywhere, camping, motels etc.
    That's cool. I use my Logitech Ipod dock when tailgating from the Audi at the ski resort. When we are gearing up in the morning we do it out of the back of the Wagon. Instead of leaving the car running burning gas and killing brain cells with carbon monoxide, we just use the dock. Yeah, I could just use the car stereo, but that would require the key to be on, and would also risk draining the battery. I even got a cig lighter adapter for the car dock so I can keep it charged off the car while we're tailgating for lunch. (car has a trunk 12v plugin).

So I'm def a fan of the portable speaker docks, but I guess for me I needed (wanted) a solution where I could play music from a single source and have it cover the 3 car garage, the driveway, and the 21x40' carport as well. The two big speakers did fine for the garage and driveway, but sound didn't do as well going around the corner to the carport/boat unless I cranked it in the garage.

When I'm working on the boat, I'm back and forth between the boat and the big toolbox and my workbench.

Even with a cordless/wireless Bluetooth speaker, I'd have to have an assistant just to follow me with the speaker! So MORE SPEAKERS was a great solution. Cost me a whopping $3 to get a 25' 3.5mm extension cord to connect my two systems.

And yesterday using the tablet as my source worked great because it gets the house wifi and was able to play internet radio leaving my phone free for text messages and to take pics of my progress.
    Last edited by trayson; 02-23-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I'm lazy. have some extra gear, but it's in the basement collecting dust.

I use this:
    charges batteries and it's portable. not the greatest sound but works.

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I'm lazy. have some extra gear, but it's in the basement collecting dust.

I use this:
    charges batteries and it's portable. not the greatest sound but works.

The battery charging would definitely be a plus.

I can't help myself. I mod the stereos in my cars, my boat, my bedroom, my family room, the garage, and now my carport!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com