Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Raptor not in new Ford Raptor

I see the new generation Ford Raptor truck will not use the 6.2L V-8 now used in all Moomba boats. It's going with a turbo V-6. I wonder if this will hurt Moomba marketing and if Ford will continue to build this engine.

The Malibu dealer said Malibu boats will not go with the Raptor engine. Early reviews have been good on this engine.
    ADM

2018 Craz

The 6.2L Ford motor is in a few of the Ford lineup. It also is in the Raptor truck. Why indmar decided to call the motor Raptor is a marketing ploy.

Any company switching from the Chevy 5.7-6.2L engine family has some issues to deal with. The chevy has been around a long time, parts are stabile, cheap andy found everywhere. The Ford 6.2 has only been around a few years.

There are still a ton of 351 lovers that lament the switch to chevy 5.7.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I personally think the reason Ford worked so hard to get the 6.2L into the Marine market was to get some of it's money back knowing it was going to cut it from the new generation! But that's the skeptic in me!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Ecoboost boats?
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Ecoboost boats?
    I seriously doubt it, Eco Boost has the power but drinks way to much fuel with twin turbos spinning.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Lol it would be in constant boost!
    -Jake

The Raptor isn't going anywhere in Marine. Ford is definitely going to continue producing the engine, where as Chevy is going to stop producing the 5.7L. I would expect Malibu to start having the 5.3L standard soon if they're really not switching to Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I seriously doubt it, Eco Boost has the power but drinks way to much fuel with twin turbos spinning.
    heat would be the biggest reason not to switch to a tt setup. turbos need a lot of air to breathe and a lot of air circulating around them to cool. the confines of a boat environment would not be a good application.
    your ecoboost actually gets better gas mileage than my triton v8 and should be more efficient in a boat environment than the chevy block.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    heat would be the biggest reason not to switch to a tt setup. turbos need a lot of air to breathe and a lot of air circulating around them to cool. the confines of a boat environment would not be a good application.
    your ecoboost actually gets better gas mileage than my triton v8 and should be more efficient in a boat environment than the chevy block.
    I agree with this until comparing it to your truck and a boat environment.
    Yes the turbos would be too hot in the boat environment.
    Yes my Eco is better on mileage then your Triton until my turbos spool up.

When I tow the boat my mileage might only be slightly better but don't be fooled by those saying they get 12-15 mpg towing, thats BS.

When you run the engine over 2K RPM the turbos spool and the mileage drops. I can literally have several hundo on a tank averaging 18 and do 1 mile of boosted passing at 80mph and watch that mpg drop in a few seconds from the huge amounts of fuel the engine can consume.

Eco Boost is a powerful V6 with V8 power.
    V6 mode is under 2K rpm, all the time and not towing
    V8 Mode anything after 2K RPM and towing.

Very large differences in mileage lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

towing boat out here from idaho, I averaged 6.4mpg's(miles/gallons at each stop, no incab computer). best was 8.7, worst going into a headwind all day was 4.9. compare that to your ecoboost. bet you are closer to 10mpg's towing.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten