Thread: Stitching

Default Stitching

I have a seam coming apart on my ski locker upholstery. Where can I buy the proper thread that won't rot and is strong enough? Should I just take it to a boat upholstery shop and have them do it? The seam is only separated for about 3-4 inches.

Andy

Default Replying to Topic 'Stitching'

Hey Andy,

Bite the bullet take it to a marine shop... have them go over all of the high traffic areas... your boat is an investment...pays to get it done right!

Just my 2 cents

J
    2005 Moomba Outback

I agree with Smrtz. The fabric needs to be removed to be restitched. You can save money by removing the affected ski locker section with the backing and all and take that in. I've had the top section of my observer seat and the rear seat replaced after they developed tears. The upholstery shop matched the fabric perfectly and it wasn't that much. Those shops like to get right to the sewing so anything you can do to get the piece out and to them the cheaper and quicker it will be. Also, you don't need to haul and store your boat at the shop and you can continue to boat if you can get by without it for that time.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Andy, When I had my outback I had some stitching coming apart in the same area.

I simply removed the whole panel and took it to a upholstery shop and they were able to take apart the vinyl panals and pull them in a bit and restitch the whole area. They said all of it was pretty much rotten.

I think cost was around 100 bucks, but most of that expense was removing the million plus staples.

db

Thanks guys, I was going to take all the staples out but if it really was only 100 bucks, I'd be happy to pass it on to someone else and get it done right. After posting, I took the piece off and you're right, there are about a million staples in there.

Andy