View Poll Results: Should I criss cross my rear bag drain hoses?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: have the port drain on the starboard side

3 50.00%
  • No: have the bags drain on their respective sides of the boat

3 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How about you just install Impeller style pumps, then they fill drain under the boat, this helps your OCD, and then Cross your Vents and you will never be the wiser?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

My vent/drain thru hulls sit several inches lower than the tops of my bags so leaning = draining... At least until the bags are the same level as the thru hull is. You don't HAVE to criss cross both, just the vent, but may as well do them both to keep your wits about you.

My $.03

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    Make sure you also put the thru hulls as far forward in the rear compartments as possible.
    I am going to use the existing "drain" thru hull for the vent. That is located between the crossmember that's between the seat backs and the front of the locker. So it's certainly forward relative to the locker itself.

That said, I am planning on placing the drains through new thru-hulls. I could mount these way further up on the hull. Heck, I could easily go just behind where the speakers are.

So are you talking about mounting the DRAIN thru hull forward? or the Vent? or both? Please expand on what you're trying to suggest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    How about you just install Impeller style pumps, then they fill drain under the boat, this helps your OCD, and then Cross your Vents and you will never be the wiser?
    Life would be easier if I'd gone impeller. But I still think they'd be slower. I've set my course, so I'm going to run with it....
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Let's not forget that I'm modeling my ballast system after Berg's:

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I often stand there, beer in hand, kids screaming, stereo blasting, proudly examining the MASSIVE flow rate of my ballast system sucking the river level down so quickly that guys are panicking and kicking over sand chairs to go push their boats out and reset their anchors. I gaze down the beach for exactly 7.32457 minutes and wonder if any of the bikini clad women on the beach are admiring my system too. Typically when a cute blond in neon pink looks up and starts to smile I snap back to reality, most often from a smack up side the head from an irritated wife or daughter, and realize the rear compartment is popping open and the side wall is bowed over so far it's starting to melt against the exhaust manifolds and the rudder is firmly embedded in the sand; I figure the bags are about full. Okay maybe 95%ish. Time to chug the last of this beer and go surfing.

I admire, and sometimes question, the dedication and enthusiasm that goes into flow testing the different possible setups. But any guy who's bragging about how big his Johnson is,,,, well to that I say

'my pump's bigger than yers'
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    My vent/drain thru hulls sit several inches lower than the tops of my bags so leaning = draining... At least until the bags are the same level as the thru hull is. You don't HAVE to criss cross both, just the vent, but may as well do them both to keep your wits about you.

My $.03

Your picture of your two different sized thru-hull reminds me of the "surprised" internet emoticon. o_O

I think you need a nose and a mouth on the side of your boat...

Last edited by trayson; 02-09-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So are you talking about mounting the DRAIN thru hull forward? or the Vent? or both? Please expand on what you're trying to suggest for me.
    Both. My neighbor's old Malibu had all the drains and vents near the transom. When the boat was surfing, and the bow was high, the front section of bags would rise above the thru hulls, and water would drain out. By cross venting/draining and forward thru hulls, no part of the bag will ever be higher than the thru hulls.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    Both. My neighbor's old Malibu had all the drains and vents near the transom. When the boat was surfing, and the bow was high, the front section of bags would rise above the thru hulls, and water would drain out. By cross venting/draining and forward thru hulls, no part of the bag will ever be higher than the thru hulls.
    Copy that. I had that issue with the vent for my Supra's rear underseat bag being in the stern.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post

It's a little off, like me.

I'm contemplating going with pirate ship mods and ditching the ballast bags in favor of ammunition storage to feed the built-in 50-cals.

I echo Joe's comments on the rear ports. My originals vented and drained out the back, whether I wanted them to or not.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Definitely cross them, and definitely do both the vent and the drain. In your case, since you're sharing that line, you can combine them and run one hose across the boat for each side.

If you had gone with reversible pumps you could use our double top secret passive drain blocker on the vent line, but since you need to be able to drain through that hose as well that's not really an option.

Seriously this is a no brainer......same side and after you fill a wine cork will prevent any leakage. Yes if it's a new instal or you want to buy lots of hose go contra lateral side but otherwise just cork it.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug