Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LSV 2008 Front ballast Upgrade

After the big ballast upgrade I did a couple years ago - posted here , I decide to add ballast under the front seat & right seat (behind the driver seat).

The extra ballast in the front allows for a cleaner wakeboard wake. I used external ballast bag for a while (the Ronix 8.3, which is great, but I'm tired getting wet, especially in Winder) so I decided to add a new pump, and while I'm at this did a system with a Y valves to also fill a bag under the right seat/bench (for goofy surfers).

Photos of the steps and results here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/jixim/...7648030411824/

Default LSV 2008 Front ballast Upgrade

Looks good!

Nice upgrade! We're thinking about adding a custom bow bag for that generation LSV as there is quite a bit more capacity available, and that weight forward obviously helps the wake a significant amount.

Is that something you guys think there would be some demand for?

Hi Jason,
    Yes there's clearly more room and with a custom bag it would get extra pounds of ballast, but the custom bag would need to be priced close to the "standard" fligh high pro sac, which is already $270. I maybe would have spent and extra ~$50 for a custom bag, but not more.
    Having a bit of room left in the bow under the seat is actually convenient to keep some life jacket and smaller stuff.

PS: I forgot to mention that all parts for the upgrade came from WakeMakers!

JC

I hear you on the pricing, now that we have our own bag production in house we're able to be much more competitive on custom bag pricing, and we can do a lot more with the actual shape of the bag.

jixim, so it sounds like you now have 4 pumps. You added the 4th pump that is dedicated for the IBS? So does the bag fill from the bottom of one of the legs and then it vents from the top of the bag at the bow? Did you drill a new hole for the vent to go out the side of the boat? Did you need to put a check valve in the vent line?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwm View Post
    Nice upgrade! We're thinking about adding a custom bow bag for that generation LSV as there is quite a bit more capacity available, and that weight forward obviously helps the wake a significant amount.

Is that something you guys think there would be some demand for?
    Great idea. I'd go with the Sumo 750 shape and add around a foot to each leg.

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    jixim, so it sounds like you now have 4 pumps. You added the 4th pump that is dedicated for the IBS? So does the bag fill from the bottom of one of the legs and then it vents from the top of the bag at the bow? Did you drill a new hole for the vent to go out the side of the boat? Did you need to put a check valve in the vent line?
    Hi Scott,
    Sorry about the late reply, i missed the message.

Yes, i have 4 pumps dedicated for the main bags, for the rear bags x2, center locker bag & the bow bag.
    The pumps for the center & bow bags also allow to fill/drain 2x 400lbs (the orignal rear bags) located under the sides seats (I removed the cooler). I used directional Y valve to control which bag to fill/empty.

For the bow bag, it fills and drains from both legs and it vents/overflows from the top of the bag to the side of the boat. I drilled a hole for the new vent (you can see on one of the photo the water going out of this vent when the bag was full).
    I chose to drain thru the hull and not thru side vent because it much simpler setup. The annoying part is that you don't see when the bags are empty, but you can actually hear the pump's sound and tell if it's still pumping water or air.
    So I didn't need any check valve, as I said simpler (and cheaper). WakeMakers folks have a nice diagram if you want to do a drain thru the vents. I've seen that setup on a friend's boat it works fine, but I'm happy with my solution

(photos of install of the first 3 pumps are here

JC

Default here's the results, all ballast full

Took a photo of the wake with & without the side bags.
    It's hard to tell from the pic, but with the extra side bags the wake is significantly bigger, and with the wake plate you can easily adjust how steep you want the ramp
    (bags are 400, but they don't fill 100%, specially the one behind driver seat, so i think they are at about 300lbs each)

moombawake.jpg
    Last edited by jixim; 04-07-2015 at 12:36 AM.

Following this thread as I am in the midst of my own IBS install/upgrade. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....u-hull-for-IBS

Right now I am only sourcing the supplies needed. Once I begin the project I will be sure to take pictures.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig