Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default brake lockout for backing up without 12v+ on the reverse circuit

So, we had a windstorm last week and I hitched up my jeep to the XLV and pulled it forward so it wasn't under the carport. I was concerned that the carport wouldn't weather the storm and wasn't going to have my boat squished.

I went to back the boat back under the carport and it wouldn't budge. I plugged the trailer's plug into the 7-pole round outlet on my Jeep. I guess when I wired up the Jeep, I didn't connect the reverse light into the circuit. so with the tongue of the trailer pointing downhill, I wasn't able to back the trailer up because the surge brakes were engaged. Normally this disengagement happens with the reverse circuit of the trailer lights.

So, I unhitched the Jeep and backed the boat up into the carport with the Ridgeline.

This makes me wonder. Is there a way to unlock the trailer brakes when backing uphill without the reverse light circuit of the trailer wiring? Some kind of "manual override??"

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Would I need to get one of these as a "manual override" for the brake lockout? And then install it BEFORE I tried to backup!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-BOAT-TRAIL...-/120941559235

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Or a less fancy version-
    http://www.pacifictrailers.com/UFP-A...uator-backing/

But without a magnet or strap/something they're easy to lose. I left one in Prineville somewhere.

Much easier to just wire the reverse light so you don't have to think about it though.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Or a less fancy version-

But without a magnet or strap/something they're easy to lose. I left one in Prineville somewhere.

Much easier to just wire the reverse light so you don't have to think about it though.
    Good tip. although I really don't think I'll ever do any real towing with the Jeep. I just used it to move the boat around the yard...

Love the $6 shipping for the $1.49 part.
    Last edited by trayson; 12-16-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I believe a nickel will fit and do the same as the items above pictured
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I've read somewhere you can just put a nickel or dime in the slot. Don't know for sure but I swear I have read that somewhere
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I actually tried a nickel and it took me 10 minutes and a small screwdriver and a paper clip to get the damn thing back out
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

A socket from the tool box works well enough but repeated use will start to bend the washer under the c-clip.

Our reverse circuit is wired and working but every once in a while the trailer lockout still fails. I would recommend having something on hand in case you get stuck.

I bought one of the "less fancy" versions which I think is the manufacturers part. We don't like it at all. It usually takes two people to work - one in the truck and one holding it place until the brake slide engages to hold it. And then it won't release until the mechanism slides open, so again, one person walks along with the trailer until it falls out. Definitely get the magnetic version, it's on my todo list.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I've used a flat washer. Don't recall the size, but it worked for me in a pinch.
    Have you looked in your owner's packet for the original part?
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Or a less fancy version-

The Orginal owner my boat and trailer from had the great idea of welding that plug in place and completely removing the calipers. Never thought to check for brakes as my truck has four wheel disks and has no problem stoping. The guy I bought it from swore up and down it had brakes because it locked up on him as he tried to backup.
    2008 LSV on the way out
    '17 CRAZ!!! on the way in