Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hulu vs. Roku

Default Hulu vs. Roku

I'm hoping to cut the cord and can't seem to figure out the real difference between Hulu and Roku for streaming media. Currently paying about $160/month for cable and basic HD cable. I don't want to give up my only must have channels (A&E, History and Discovery). Any regrets from anyone who has switched over from cable or dish? Which platform gives you the best programing or would I want both?
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Default Hulu vs. Roku

I did about 6 months ago and I don't miss that bill a bit! I have netflix, hulu, and a little satellite from walmart which gives me all of my local channels for free and in HD. I stream all of those through chromecast, which is awesome and I can stream from my phone or my computer using chromecast. I also just bought a amazon fire which is pretty nice also. The nice thing about the chromecast is I can stream from my computer to the tv. The chromecast is $30-$40 and I believe the amazon fire stick is about the same, seem to do about the same except stream from the computer. So about $18 a month for hulu and netflix. Hulu covers all of those channels that you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 Outback

Default Re: Hulu vs. Roku

Chromecast or roku, if you want a remote go with the roku, plus there's additional channels on the roku. Don't think the amazon will have as much support as the others.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default Hulu vs. Roku

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Chromecast or roku, if you want a remote go with the roku, plus there's additional channels on the roku. Don't think the amazon will have as much support as the others.
    Ya, the remote for chromecast is your phone or computer really. I believe that chromecast supports hulu, netflix, YouTube, watch sports center app, and pandora. There may be a couple more but I can't remember them. Plus it will stream anything from your computer screen once you take 2-3 minutes to download the "chromecast extension." I don't have any experience with the roku and just started with the amazon fire stick, which has a remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BGeorge01; 12-06-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    1998 Outback

Hulu is a channel ... Roku is a device. Roku vs Chromecast vs firestick etc.

I swapped from dish but ended up going with a a assoc cable subscription for locals. (Not close enough to pick up locals easily over the air). I did old school cable (no box). The kind you split 100 times for lots of TVs

My Chromecast experience was with an older unit ... It was a pita compared to my roku. The speed, connecting, etc.

The roku 3 moves as fluently as your dish and direct menus, if not smoother. Tons of channels .. Hulu, netflix, YouTube, HBO, vevo (tons of current music videos), Pandora, amazon prime, slacker, amazon cloud player, disney and tons others. I'm not sure what streaming service they don't offer.

I recently picked up a roku stick for an outdoor TV bc I was trying to limit power wires (it plus into TVs powered usb). It moves a little slower than the 3 and does not offer the headphone jack built into the remote. It works smoothly though.

I have no experience with the fire stick.

I've used both the stick and the 3 on wall mounted TVs if that is a concern. The 3 is just wedged between mount and tv.

I'm sold on the fluidness of roku. Happy to answer specific questions
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

As far as streaming vs dish ...

Hulu carries most shows the day after they air but they won't carry all shows. We couldn't find everything we wanted which is why we ended up with basic cable.

We use Netflix more often than Hulu. It will not be as current on the TV show side but provides full series and tons of movies.

Some questions I had .. Multiple rokus can stream at once, even on same service. If I'm watching a series on TV a and go to TV b, I can pick my series up where I stopped. However that seems to be only working on the 3's. Wife mentioned the stick seems to be off an episode or so.

I'm around 100 for internet, cable, Hulu, Netflix. We weren't able to cut the cord completely on "live" tv
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 12-06-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Re: Hulu vs. Roku

Can also cast or mirror whatever you have on your phone tablet to the Chromecast..pics, games, etc, etc..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Ditto everything KG said, Roku also allows screen mirroring from other devices. We have 3 Roku 3's and 1 Chrome cast, Roku wins by a landslide imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Default Hulu vs. Roku

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Ditto everything KG said
    Wow, not really surprised by this . . . .

Last edited by wolfeman131; 12-06-2014 at 09:07 AM.

I've been tempted to do this, but the thing always holding me back is watching live sporting events that aren't on the local networks. If I'm not mistaken, there would be no way to watch games on ESPN, Fox Sports, NFL Network, etc... Right?
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold